Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Error caused text to compact itself

Hi there,

Hopefully somone can help me today. I was working on a site last nite for a client when the software crashed producing tow errors. Unfortunately in my haste I simply disregarded then and restarted the software.

Upon the software restarting I found that all my text that has been typed within my brochure pages were now compacted together with no return spaces at all.

Click here to view image

It look fine in the text box within the software though. Has anybody come across this b4? If so is there a solution as I have tried to save a snaphot, upgrade the software to 8.03 and import it in. Unfortunately I think it may be a database issue? any suggestion would be appreciated.
    Regards.

Lee Jackson
    Creative Director

Centurius Design & Marketing
    Centurius Website
    Portfolio of Work

If you are trying to save a snapshot after you had a problem, its unlikely that it will work for you. The idea is to have it as a backup already in place for when things go wrong.

Have you tried compacting the database and refreshing the website?

The image link in your post doesn't work.

Comment

I was able to reach the image. Can you click the layout tab on that same fragment, and see what is entered in that tab?

A quick (and dirty) solution would be to add <p>&nbsp;</p> at the beginning of each of your embedded html titles. This would place an empty paragraph between each topic and the previous one.
      Bill
      www.egyptianwonders.co.uk
      Text directoryWorldwide Actinic(TM) shops
      BC Ness Solutions Support services, custom software
      Registered Microsoft™ Partner (ISV)
      VoIP UK: 0131 208 0605
      Located: Alexandria, EGYPT

Comment

its not working for me.

Comment

I think we'd need to know the Theme you are using and see the generated HTML before being able to assist further.
          Norman - www.drillpine.biz
          Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

Hi everyone, thanks for getting back to me.

I would have made a backup yesterday at the end of the day as regular however this occured 15 min before I was about to leave work.

Norman, with regards to your question, I am using the theme Clean Layout 4 for the design with some customisation. You can view the site here

The best page to view would be the privacy policy page ( The link is in the bottom right corner of the page). To try and counteract this at the moment I am simply placing <br/> tags at the end of each line.

Can anyone have a guess as to why this may have occured?

By the way can someone remind me what the other technical support line is apart from the 0845 129 4800 number please?
            Regards.

Lee Jackson
            Creative Director

Centurius Website
            Portfolio of Work

Comment

For some reason i cannot access either of the links you have posted, so i'm blind. Have you done any messing with the CSS file and adjusted margins or anything similar?

The support numbers should be on their website i would imagine.

Comment

Hi Lee,

The URL I sent was http://www.organixexperience.com/acatalog/index.html if you would like to view it.

I have attached an image.

I have just looked at the css and all the fomatting within the top preview pane has gone. What controls the formatting from within the site?

Any ideas.
                Attached Files
                Regards.

Lee Jackson
                Creative Director

Centurius Website
                Portfolio of Work

Comment

That doesn't work for me either, weird.

If you do not know where the stylesheet is, i doubt it is anything css related. I am just throwing ideas in as i cannot get to see the site.

All css is contained within the actinic stylesheet unless you have added your own stylesheet.

Comment

Lee,

Just a quick question. Should the actinic.css and theme.css be within the Site 1 folder as well as the Preview HTML and Designer Preview HTML folder?

The reason I ask is that I cannot see any stylesheet within the Site1 Folder itself apart from the sub folders.
                    Regards.

Lee Jackson
                    Creative Director

Centurius Website
                    Portfolio of Work

Comment

I think them being in the PreviewHTML and DesignPreviewHTML only is correct. The main copy is now in the database as a Layout.

Comment

As for your error I'm stumped. These line breaks should be replaced with <br />.

There used to be a Design Option (V7) to use either <br> or <p> for such breaks but I can't find that now.

So I looked through all the Design / Text entries and used the old tried and tested method of replacing each <br /> with <br />1, <br />2, etc and none of these extra markers showed up against the <br /> the generated HTML. I wonder if this separator is hardcoded into the application or hidden away in a Variable that's hard to locate.

You may have to wait for Actinic on Monday for a resolution.

Comment

Lee, firstly, the 2 links on your website don't seem to go anywhere - when I click either of them it simply takes me to the top of the current page.

Regarding the text layout problems, I had the same experience when I upgraded my v7 site to v8 - all occurences of <P> within text were ignored by v8, although they had worked fine in v7. I got around the problem by replacing each <P> with </P><P> and the paragraph breaks were then recognised by v8.
                          Brian
                          www.flowergallery.co.uk
                          Same day flower delivery to UK
                          Same day flower delivery to Republic of Ireland
                          International Flower Delivery

Located in Argyll, Scotland, UK

Comment

There used to be a setting box for "Use <br /> for paragraphs" or something similar in v7 - may be worth looking for that and adding a checkmark.
                            Bill
                            www.egyptianwonders.co.uk
                            Text directoryWorldwide Actinic(TM) shops
                            BC Ness Solutions Support services, custom software
                            Registered Microsoft™ Partner (ISV)
                            VoIP UK: 0131 208 0605
                            Located: Alexandria, EGYPT

Comment

Working...
                            X