Page Title - View/Source

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Page Title - View/Source

Sorry if this sounds like a really dumb question.

Just checking through some of my page titles and noticed that they're showing up differently when I viewing them through View/Source in browser window. For example:

On this page (http://www.ecclestonanglingcentre.co...SonuSkinz.html) I have the title: Sonu Baits Skins Pellets - £1.49 - Eccleston Angling Centre Ltd

But when I check this in the browswer window via View/Source I get:

Sonu Baits Skinz Pellets - &#163 (more code here) Eccleston Angling Centre Ltd

Anyone shed any light?
    www.ecclestonanglingcentre.co.uk

Search on the Internet for information about "URL encoding" this should give you the details, but basically non alphanumerical data is converted into an equivalent code. Your &#163 with the addition of a semicolon becomes £
    Bill
    www.egyptianwonders.co.uk
    Text directoryWorldwide Actinic(TM) shops
    BC Ness Solutions Support services, custom software
    Registered Microsoft™ Partner (ISV)
    VoIP UK: 0131 208 0605
    Located: Alexandria, EGYPT

Comment

Originally posted by wjcampbe
      Search on the Internet for information about "URL encoding" this should give you the details, but basically non alphanumerical data is converted into an equivalent code. Your &#163 with the addition of a semicolon becomes £
      Cheers for that Bill, so it's nothing to be too concerned about?

Just checking out some of my competitors pages who employ similar titles with £ signs....etc. When I view their pages through view/source it does not show URL encoding.....but their title as it shows at the top of the browser. Why would this be so?

Comment

Where are you setting the titles? Why are the URLs being encoded?

I set my titles in the Page Title box using the £4.99 and nothing gets encoded.
        Bill
        www.egyptianwonders.co.uk
        Text directoryWorldwide Actinic(TM) shops
        BC Ness Solutions Support services, custom software
        Registered Microsoft™ Partner (ISV)
        VoIP UK: 0131 208 0605
        Located: Alexandria, EGYPT

Comment

Originally posted by wjcampbe
          Where are you setting the titles? Why are the URLs being encoded?

I set my titles in the Page Title box using the £4.99 and nothing gets encoded.
          Hi Bill,

It's not the URLs that are being encoded....but the page titles. I'm setting the titles the same as you in the Page Title box. But if you check this URL http://www.ecclestonanglingcentre.co...g/Ringers.html and then look at the source code the titles are different.....the source view shows encoding.....but as I've mentioned above some of my competitors who do include £ signs....etc, their source code shows as it is written in the browser window.

Thanks for your time

Comment

I think I'll had this over to technical support unless anyone else has any suggestions?

Comment

Nothing's wrong. The & # 1 6 3 ; stuff is perfectly valid HTML and it is HTML after all that Actinic is generating. The reason for this is that if you had a title like

Chevrons <a b c> and stuff. Then you'd be inadvertantly generating a spurious HTML anchor tag if you didn't escape that <.

Your competitors probably aren't using Actinic and it cannot be guaranteed for them that special characters will show up OK in all the different languages that their customers browsers may be using.
              Norman - www.drillpine.biz
              Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

Originally posted by NormanRouxel
                Nothing's wrong. The & # 1 6 3 ; stuff is perfectly valid HTML and it is HTML after all that Actinic is generating. The reason for this is that if you had a title like

Chevrons <a b c> and stuff. Then you'd be inadvertantly generating a spurious HTML anchor tag if you didn't escape that <.

Your competitors probably aren't using Actinic and it cannot be guaranteed for them that special characters will show up OK in all the different languages that their customers browsers may be using.
                Cheers for that Norman.....I feel a lot better now.

Just one more question if I'm not being too demanding

I've noticed that on quite a few of my title tags there is a blank character showing up at the beginning of them.....for example:

Let's say I write the tag as <Title>Turnips Here<Title>
                When viewing the source it shows up like: <Title> Turnip Here<Title> with a gap at the beginning. Is this something that I should be concerned about?

It seems to be doing it for every page below the main catalog index in the tree.

Comment

Look in your Primary Templates (Design / Options / Layouts/ Primary Templates ) and see if the space is in them, and if so, delete it.

Comment

I think it's the Act Primary (Upgraded) template from v7 that's responsible but looking at the code in 'Design' I can't see anything obvious.....then again I know nothing about code I can't see any gaps??

Comment

Try removing all line feeds and spaces between <title> and </title>. You'll get a hideously long line but that may be enough to fix it. Leave everything between <actinic.... and the closing > in place.

Comment

Originally posted by NormanRouxel
                        Try removing all line feeds and spaces between <title> and </title>. You'll get a hideously long line but that may be enough to fix it. Leave everything between <actinic.... and the closing > in place.
                        Thank you Norman, that seems to have done the trick. Like you said, I've ended up with one long line but the gap is now gone and the pages seem to be displaying okay

Regards

Comment

Working...
                        X