Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Line breaks in Full Description field

Actinic Version: 8.0.3

What is the format of line breaks i should be using for the full description field?

When generating my heirachical file, I am currently using \r\n to represent a new line, and importing as DOS format.

After importing into Actinic, when looking at the Text: field on the Extended Information tab, none of the line breaks are showing (well, they are showing, kind of, they are being displayed as a little black bar like <b>|</b> to represent the line break, but the new line is not actually occuring!).

When I upload the site, the newlines that were in the product description are not substituted in the HTML with <br /> tags, but if i view-source, where i would expect my newlines/<br /> tags to be, instead it shows "& #133;".

Any ideas anyone?
    Last edited by firefoo; 02-Dec-2006, 02:37 PM. Reason: mentioning & #133;

This looks like an Actinic bug. I've tested it here with a file that works fine in V7 (I use quoted string like "Line1\nLine2") and nothing happens in the generated page. It all is displayed in one big lump (Line1Line2).

However if I do an import and the file contains Line1\r\nLine2 then it's OK. and a <br /> is generated.
    Norman - www.drillpine.biz
    Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

interesting.... actually, I am assuming it is a \r\n in the heirachical file as the data is being extracted from another Access database, and \r\n is the standard Windows line break whereas just \n is used on Unix systems...

I'm going to patch my script to replace all occurances of \r\n with \n, and \n with \r\n again to be 100% sure it is writing a \r\n in the description, and not just a \n.

Will report back shortly.

Originally posted by NormanRouxel
      This looks like an Actinic bug. I've tested it here with a file that works fine in V7 (I use quoted string like "Line1\nLine2") and nothing happens in the generated page. It all is displayed in one big lump (Line1Line2).

However if I do an import and the file contains Line1\r\nLine2 then it's OK. and a <br /> is generated.

Comment

Why not look at your file in Notepad first.
        Norman - www.drillpine.biz
        Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

HTML option

Hi

If you are already pre-processing data, you could add the breaks using <br /> or else wrap the paras with <p>...</p< - and the !!< >!! wrapping round the whole lot.

Comment

Working...
          X