Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Disappearing States

Hi,

I'm having a bit of a problem whereby I have United Kingdom set up in the Country List, and two "states" - Great Britain and Northern Ireland - threse affect the delivery prices you see.

However I close Actinic down, open it up again, and Northern Ireland disappears! Great Britain however - remains!

If I rename Great Britain to become something else... say, "England" - when I close Actinic and open it up again, it disappears! So somehow somewhere Great Britain is remaining because it is being linked in with something else.

If anyone has Skype I'd appreciate a quick text/talk through:
    Skype Name: samdavis

Or any reply comments on this thread would be appreciated.
    Sam Davis
    Bright Light Media Ltd

I just thought I would bump this up incase it has been missed. Our problem still remains. We have put our Actinic web-site live today at www.tv-wall-brackets.co.uk - we're having a few teething problems, mainly down to our slow US server, so we're moving the site to the UK ASAP!

Anyhow, within Actinic, we have two states set up, and Northern Ireland still vanishes whenever we close Actinic and open it up again. I cannot fathom why this happens. This of course proves a nightmare for when we're uploading the site, as I have to re-establish the state in order for shipping/taxes to work properly.

I even left my PC on overnight complete with NI as a state, and in the morning I come into work, and it isn't there - something isn't quite right.

I know it's a work-around, but does anyone know how to LOCK data in the States table in the Access database. I would prefer not to have to do this, but at the moment its the only way I can see fit for the situation not to re-occur.

PS: Any web-site comments hints are always appreciated.
    Sam Davis
    Bright Light Media Ltd

Comment

Sam

Lovely looking site - nice job.

On entering your site i am overwhelmed with your site wanting to save cookies on my PC. I had at least 4 requests. On trying to checkout i am warned about a problem with your security certificate. I am then asked about secure and non-secure items within the checkout, which i presume is to do with some of the graphics you are using not being in the secure area of your site.

Looks great, but all the warnings would put me off personally. You may want to take a look into them.

Comment

Where are the locations disappearing from? From 'Business Settings | Shipping and Handling', 'Settings | Locations...' or from the website?

Comment

Hi there,

They are disappearing from Settings > Locations (every time I exit and then restart Actinic).

Subsequently this affects the Tax zones/shipping details.
          Sam Davis
          Bright Light Media Ltd

Comment

Hi Sam,

Mmm I would suggest in going to "Housekeeping | Compact Databases", here make sure both databases are ticked. One this is done, try setting up the location again, and close it and reopen.

Does that work?

Kind Regards
            Nadeem Rasool
            SellerDeck Development

Comment

This didn't solve the problem.

However, I have contacted support, and they have produced a solution for me. Apparently my database tables (States and Countries) were somehow corrupted. If anyone else has this problem in the future, this is the workaround....

1). Close your Actinic software.
              2). Make a backup of the site databases (ActinicCatalog.mdb and
              SimpleShipping.mdb)
              3). Copy 'SimpleShipping.mdb' from 'Actinic v8\Original\ShipControl' to the
              site folder ('Site1' in a single site installation), this will reset the
              shipping tables to the defaults.
              4). Use Access to open the database 'ActinicCatalog.mdb' from within the
              site folder
              5). Delete the tables [Countries] and [States]
              6). Use Access to open the database 'ActinicCatalog.mdb' from within the
              folder called 'Original' ('Actinic v8\Original\ActinicCatalog.mdb')
              7). Copy the tables [Countries] and [States] from the 'ActinicCatalog.mdb'
              database within the folder called 'Original' into the 'ActinicCatalog.mdb
              database in the site folder.

Close Access and open Actinic and try creating the UK 'states' again.

Sam Davis
              Bright Light Media Ltd

Comment

I have exactly this problem. Will try this workaround later. Doing my head in!
                Blank DVD
                Cloth Nappies

Comment

This didn't work for me. I also get 'Invalid Argument' flashing up all the time when I have Locations open.
                  Blank DVD
                  Cloth Nappies

Comment

Don't know what's going on. It always seems to lose the last state entered upon reboot. So, If I enter a bogus one last, it won't be there when I close and reopen actinic. So far, all my states are there. Will keep checking as this obviously means I am losing sales to those locations.
                    Blank DVD
                    Cloth Nappies

Comment

Nope, Channel Islands is there. I do a order download and when I go back to Locations it's gone again.
                      Blank DVD
                      Cloth Nappies

Comment

Steve,

Are you sure you followed the instructions correctly as that should do it for you. If you have and this has not changed things for you then please call in support if you have a cover contract else raise a support request here.

Kind regards,
                        Bruce King
                        SellerDeck

Comment

Hi Bruce,

I'm pretty sure I did as all the countries were back in place as they were originally. The only place I may have gone wrong is number 7. I deleted the tables and then went to the file in original and copied 'Countries' from the left pane in access and then pasted it into the left pane in the Site 1 version. Is this correct? I'm assuming it is as all the countries were there. Maybe I need to try the whole process again.

We do have cover so I'll give support a ring tomorrow when I have some time.
                          Blank DVD
                          Cloth Nappies

Comment

OK, for the benefit of anyone who finds this post with a similar problem, it's a bug, confirmed by support. If you set up states in the last country on the list (we only have one, UK), the last state dissapears. This happens in a fresh install of v8.

The devs don't have a fix as of yet so a workaround or dummy country is required.

Me, I'm going to start shipping to Eire as it's in our City Link contract and I can make it the last country on the list with no states. This should leave my UK states intact.
                            Blank DVD
                            Cloth Nappies

Comment

Working...
                            X