Help starting V8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help starting V8

I have a live V6 site. I downloaded a trial version of V8 some weeks ago for evaluation and imported a snapshot of the V6 site into the trial copy of V8.

I just tried to start a new CD of V8 (just bought software) with the intention of building a new site from scratch leaving my V6 site alone. I thoght I had uninstalled the V8 evaluation copy but apparently I had only put the file in the recycle bin and deleted it - the original file still appears in my programs folder.

When I try to start my new Actinic 8 CD I am prompted to upgrade the V6 version or the V8 version - I dont want to do either, just start a new one from scratch - if I click upgrade V8 I get an error saying the file cannot be found.

How can I start a new v8 site from scratch without upgrading anything?

uninstall it through control panel and then delete the actinic 8 folder within program files, then try again.

Comment

Hi Lee

went to cobtrol panel clicked uninstall and got an error message saying that it may already have been uninstalled and to delete it from the install/uninstall menu. did that, went to programs where it still is and went to uninstall Actinic 8 and got a dialogue box saying that it was searching for "UNWISE32.EXE", after about 30 seconds that went off and nothing happened. The Act V8 program files are still there unchanged.

Comment

So it looks like you have tried to uninstall it incorrectly or tried to do it a quick way and now it is getting it own back. I would go to recycle bin, right click, select to restore, then repeat all of the above steps previously mentioned and delete the actinic v8 folder and then try.

If you uninstall programs without using the add/remove or the programs own uninstall facility, you will sometimes get into a mess or you will end up with a boat load of orphan files.

If it can not uninstall and won't reinstate, my only suggestion is to delete the actinic v8 folder, unless you are happy going into the registry.

Comment

When you install V8 from the CD why not select to upgrade the V8 already on the PC. You might then be able to unistall it and then afterwards do a clean install.

Comment

Yep, looks like I am in trouble. I tried to unistall the trial version a week or so ago and cant remember what I did - it was obviuosly done incorrectly

The restore option in the recycle bin was not available so I tried to delete all Actinic 8 folders. Having deleted files/folders from via Control Panels and Program files I restarted the computer and tried to reinstall from the CD.

Once again the only options were to upgrade V6 or V8. I selected upgrade v8.

About 75% of the way through the install an error warning came up saying the file Actinic V82 (the trial version which I renamed) could not be opened and the application closed. It seemed to be looking for the old deleted V8 file.

I opened the Programs folder and there was the v82 file recreated! How can it recreate this file once I have deleted it?

All \I want to do is remove all the old V8 downloads altogether so I can start from scratch from the CD.

As you can see dgrounding, I cant even select to upgrade the old v8.

Any ideas how I get out of this one?

Comment

Install on a different PC and then copy over the actinic 8 folder to yours and see what happens - scraping the barrel here but might work enough to try and recognise and correct.

Or maybe try installing the trial version again?

Comment

You will probably find that the settings in the registry are causing your problem here.

WARNING:
                The registry is not the place to mess in, it can, if treated incorrectly make your system completely unusable.
                You really must know what you are doing when in the registry but I have had a quick look and there are masses of Actinic entries which may well be causing your problem.

Like Lee says, the best thing to do would be an install on another machine and copy over the Actinic directory. If you have not disturbed anything in the registry during the attempted re-installs then you may get away with it.

lesson learned: When removing an application from your PC always use the uninstall program or do it via control panel.

Mike
                Boy, this is a big learning curve.....and YES I've got my crampons on!
                www.shop.burns-pet-nutrition.co.uk

Comment

Thanks everyone and especially Lee. Downloading the trial version again allowed me to uninstall properly and reinstall Actinic8 from the CD. All working fine now.

Comment

Having had almost exactly the same problem, but with v7 and v8 snapshot imports we phoned Actinic for help. Their answer:

After having run the uninstall programme and still having problems, do the following
                    Go to Run from Start bar
                    Type in Regedit
                    Then look at HKey current user, software Actinic (find version you want to delete v8, v7, etc) - delete the folder
                    Then move down the list to find HKey Local machine, software (find version you want to delete v8, v7, etc) - delete the folder
                    Then close Regedit with the red x
                    Job Done
                    Now reinstall programme from disk
                    It will give you the reinstall from new option
                    www.asmailorder.com www.asmailorder.co.uk

Comment

I will add a liitle something to this:

Before you do any editing in the registry take a backup of it first.

Run regedit from the command prompt
                      Select File|Export and save the reg file somewhere safe.

If, after tinkering in the registry things don't work like they should you can (provided windows will run in at least Safe Mode) import your good registry file and resume normal service.

Mike
                      Boy, this is a big learning curve.....and YES I've got my crampons on!
                      www.shop.burns-pet-nutrition.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                      X