Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about marketing my website ?

Hi all

My question is how is the best way to market my new online company website. I realise search engines are difficult to get on top of with regards to being on the first few pages unless using the sponsered links with google etc..

I see many of you good folks have great web sites but not many are showing up when searching for your products on Google. Without expecting you to give to many secrets away are you simply marketing your website through local buisness's or local mailing etc..

Im finding it difficult to understand how one can make the buisness grow other than being on the first few pages of google or similar. I realise this takes time and is very diffucult to acheive and maybe takes years.

I know many of you perhaps have built up you custom slowly maybe word of mouth but would be interested to find out how one promotes a website other than google. Im new to this type of selling and requiring as much help and advise as you can give to me.

Thanks again for reading my thread

Keith

You can start by giving us your url - just putting "none" in your profile is not helping your marketing efforts

Comment

Sorry

My site is still being built, So thats why im finding out as much homework and info as i can before publishing. The site wont be finished untill early in the new year as it taking all my spare time to complete.

Thanks
      Keith

Comment

Marketing channels depend on product and audience. Hence it would be difficult to judge without knowing what you're selling - even then only you will now your products best.

In nutshell you need traffic, qualified traffic - the more of that the more sales you will get. To get traffic you need referrals from different marketing channels.

Marketing channels may include PPC, Natural Search Results, Newsletters, Leaflets, Newspaper Ads, TV Ads, Blogs, Forums etc etc.

Comment

I have no url - wont be finished untill early in the new year
          Ahhh - marketing mistake N01.

Insulting other peoples websites by critising thier performance on google is not going to make you any friends here. Some on the forum work VERY hard getting thier sites ranking while others are after a free lunch every post

Comment

Originally posted by RuralWeb
            Ahhh - marketing mistake N01.

Insulting other peoples websites by critising thier performance on google is not going to make you any friends here. Some on the forum work VERY hard getting thier sites ranking while others are after a free lunch every post

Dear Malcolm,

This thread is by no means meant to be insulting or critising to anybodys website performance, it is purely an observation meaning i was unable to find certain members products using google search engine which made me wonder how some buisness's where marketing there sites. I do not expect any secrets and certainly no freebes only welcome advice. I am only researching like i presume you may have did your self one day. This is the second time you have answered one of my threads and although i see you are willing to answer many peoples questions and i appreciate that you are probably a well respected member of this forum however i have felt slight aggresion from your replys. I am sure you had to learn part of your trade from other peoples experience yourself whether reading forums like this or learning elsewhere. It would seem your conclusion to my posting is based on your own personal opinion so I would greatly appreciate if you would kindly remember this before making unpleasent comments and accusations.

PS thankyou to Duncan and any other helpful replies

Keith

Comment

Aswell as looking at internet marketing you should also look at traditional methods of marketing too. Think a little more laterally and pretend you were a B&M store, are there any methods of marketing which would cross over.

think about your local market, are there any groups, businesses etcthat you could target?

Don't limit yourself to internet marketting only

Comment

Just to throw my hat into the ring....

I am going to quote my favourite mantra....

to sell online, YOU MUST market offline

leaflet drops, local press/national, trade magazines...yadda yadda, you get the gist.

Online SEO helps of course.

Regards
                Daren
                Affordable solutions for busy professionals.
                Website Maintenance | UK Web Hosting

Comment

Keith

I think one of the main problems with your post is that it reads - "i've had a look at some of your sites and they are mostly doing crap in Google, can you tell me how to go about doing this?"

You are new to this and it is understandable that you have many questions you need answered. Every question you are asking will have been answered 1,000 times all over the internet and the information already out there to answer these questions, will far outweigh even the lengthiest posts people could reply in here. In this forum alone, there is a vast amount of information.

We do not direct people to use the search facility to be awkward, you have to see it from another perspective. Some people have been members of this forum for years and the same questions are regularly answered and it gets tedious to be honest. The amount of information already written in the forum will always far outweigh a couple of posts that reply to you.

I first started marketing a site for Google about 3 years ago and i can honestly say that i read articles for probably 40-50 hours and from all of these i came up with what i classed as a blueprint to be successful. I implemented these thoughts and waited to see what happened. In the meantime i also read further articles and then started to fine tune things. 18 months down the line, i learnt to get a large site ranked well. The main one i have worked upon has at least 40 of its main products within the top 5 on Google, many in 1st, 2nd or 3rd, usually just behind the manufacturer and the biggest website in that marketplace.

To relay what i have learnt in a post would be impossible as it would take too long. What i can recommend which worked great for me, is reading and searching, rather than posting. Of my 600 odd posts in here i'm sure there isn't one asking an SEO question as you don't need to, the info is everywhere, there is actually too much if anything.

By reading articles from a few hundred different people, you will end up with a far more rounded and concentrated idea, than you will from a few willing people who will respond with a few paragraphs to your posts. The internet is a massive library, sometimes difficult or awkward to navigate, but it has every book with everything you could ever need an answer to.

Good luck and happy reading.

Comment

Thanks Guys

Great Advice
                    Points taken

Keith

Comment

To takes Lee's point a little further, yes it is better to research the subject, it takes more time but you become more knowledgeable.

If during your reasearch you hit something you simply can't understand, then post a specific question.

Comment

Thanks Jo

Will keep that in mind

Comment

Working...
                        X