Heads Up - Duplicate Section Names

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heads Up - Duplicate Section Names

This might be a known problem, but if it caught me out I’m hoping this post will save others a lot of work.

We have a site with sections such as:

Books
    Watercolour Painting
    Acrylic Painting
    Oil Painting
    Paints
    Watercolour Painting
    Acrylic Painting
    Oil Painting

Etc.

We found that when the site was uploaded, Actinic (8.03) could differentiate between the page names of the sub sections. I.E. both Watercolour Painting sub sections under the Books & Painting sections both had the same name: /acatolog/Watercolour_Painting.html

This, of course, meant that several sections were not available on-line and someone wanting to go to Painting>Watercolour Painting were taken to Books>Watercolour Painting.

The solution is to go into the page setting tab of each section and sub section to make sure the page names are unique.

I’m not sure if this is a bug or a ‘feature’, but it took a few phone calls from confused customers and a frantic call to support to figure out what was going on.

Richard

Once you understand that Actinic keeps *ALL* of the website files in ONE [acatalog] folder, then it becomes rather obvious that every single page MUST have a unique name.
    Bill
    www.egyptianwonders.co.uk
    Text directoryWorldwide Actinic(TM) shops
    BC Ness Solutions Support services, custom software
    Registered Microsoft™ Partner (ISV)
    VoIP UK: 0131 208 0605
    Located: Alexandria, EGYPT

Comment

True,

But when I was designing the section names for easy understanding, I didn't realise that Actinic would use these names as page names without checking for duplicates!

Hey-ho.

Richard

Comment

Originally posted by Waggers
        I’m not sure if this is a bug or a ‘feature’
        Think thats a bug, as when you create sections manually in previous versions and the resultant filename matches an existing filename, it used to tell you, whereas now it does not, which is v v very bad -

However, when you export the site snapshot, then it tells you LOL.

So, do not think this is a feature and a bug, plus not sure if it is on the known hit list, but definately should not allow duplicate filenames.

Comment

Hi there

In 8.0.3 you get an error message during upload if your store contains duplicate section names.

What version of Actinic are you using? You can check in 'Help | About'.

Comment

Working...
          X