Image locations on new PC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Image locations on new PC

This question has probably been asked and answered before, but I couldn't find it with the forum search, so apologies if it has.

I've just moved my Actinic site to a new PC and my images were stored in my user profile in the My Pictures folder. On the new PC this path has changed.

How do I mass update the image location of all my products?

Apart from an Access query you could export the catalog to excel and do a search and replace, then inmport again (backup first). Also remember to update the Additional Files list if you used it.

Comment

What a pain in the doodads.

Perhaps Actinic could implement this into a new version so that a common location for product images is set in the Preferences and then the product contains a relative reference to the image such as folderx/imagename.jpg.

Comment

But Actinic already do this. The common location is the site folder. And there must be upwards of 150 threads on this forum where people who fail to take the advice "keep all of your site content inside your site folder" have found out the hard way why that is.

Snapshots only include content from the site folder, backups of the site folder only contain the content of the site folder (what??) and if you screw it up, there is no easy way to get it right again - just blood sweat and tears.
        Bill
        www.egyptianwonders.co.uk
        Text directoryWorldwide Actinic(TM) shops
        BC Ness Solutions Support services, custom software
        Registered Microsoft™ Partner (ISV)
        VoIP UK: 0131 208 0605
        Located: Alexandria, EGYPT

Comment

Thanks for the advice. Add me to the list as I didn't realise I could do this.

Do all the images have to be flat within this folder or can they be in a folder within the site folder? My site would look very untidy with hundreds of jpegs in it so I'd prefer to categorise them into folders according to their site sections.

Comment

Images you use for the Site design are best left in the Site1 folder.

Images you use for Products / Sections can be put in a sub-folder of your Site. E.g. Site1/Images. It should be OK to have several such folders, but keep them all within Site1.
            Norman - www.drillpine.biz
            Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

Caveat: don't think that because you use folders you can have duplicated filenames in different folders. When Actinic uploads the site, it ignores all your pretty folder arrangements and every image goes flat into the /acatalog/ online folder.

/garters/red-rose.jpg and /perfumes/red-rose.jpg - whichever loads last will be the only image you get - IF Actinic does not choke and refuse to upload at all (as it should).
              Last edited by wjcampbe; 02-Jan-2007, 06:40 PM. Reason: big thumbs
              Bill
              www.egyptianwonders.co.uk
              Text directoryWorldwide Actinic(TM) shops
              BC Ness Solutions Support services, custom software
              Registered Microsoft™ Partner (ISV)
              VoIP UK: 0131 208 0605
              Located: Alexandria, EGYPT

Comment

Working...
              X