Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spot the template I messed up!

Hi Guys,

I have been trying to sort out the layouts of various sections in V8, I usually would have taken a snapshot but that is not currently working for me so felt that it would be OK and what can go wrong .....!

Long and the short of it and still getting use to V8 I have changed some thing and a lot of the layouts have gone pear shape, trying to develop a compact product line, it is a little complicated as I wanted to add additional logos to show if it is a new product this season or won an award see link to an example

Example of a compact product line from current site in V7

Felt this could be done in two ways either set up a new layout which include the logos (new product, little cup and 1 showing suitable for pots so 3 in total) and selecting this layout where necessary.

Or Setting variable up for each logo and have a place holder in the layout and you just select the logo at the product level.

In V8 I have got this far:

Example of working compact layout without logos having problems with images not showing too, they are there but are not shown!

Doing this I have messed up the layout for the rest like this Messed up example in V8

I have current and paste sections in V7 and ended up with bad page names such as above
    copy_of_copy_of_Cut_&_Come_Again_Salads.html
    , what is the best way to sort this in V8 as of course I imported this from the V7 site.

Any help would be grateful received, take care
    Mash

In the library there is a tick box at the bottom which highlights modified layouts with a * this will help track the changed layouts. You can reset back to factory default and start again - this will help out the rest of the site that should not be changed.

Before starting editing the layouts you need to go to the libray first, create a new layout based on the old and then apply the new layout to the site - you can then start hacking away at the code. If you start editing first you will change every instance of that template through out the site. This is undoubtedly the commenest problem the majority of new users to v8 will experience (I have been using since the alpha testing and still did the same thing on Sunday!)

Adding the aditional images can be done either way as you suggest - via a variable or fixed into a layout - if via a layout again don't forget if you change the layout against one item it will change every instance on the site. You may be able to utilise the <block if> conditions depending on what you are trying to achieve.

The page names will need editing out. You could possibly do this in access to remove the copy_ prefix but you will still need a unique filename at the end of the day for each page (section)

HTH

Bikster
    SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

Working...
    X