Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Uploading Generates Extra Page

Hi,

I'm developing my first site and seem to be getting an extra page when I upload it.

I've renamed my catalog home page 'shop.html' but when I upload, a file called 'index.html' is also created. Both of these are in the acatalog folder (there is also mydomain.com/index.html but this is the site home page). Therefore, the site thinks that acatalog/index.html is the catalog home when it should really be acatalog/shop.html.

By deleting all the site HTML files and going to Web | Generate HTML, the acatalog/index.html page is not created and the offline preview is perfect- But then when I refresh the site on the server, the index.html page reappears.

I have got around the problem by hard coding in the shop.html page but I am still curious as to why the extra page is generated?

I've spoken to support about this and without sending a full snapshot, have been unable to find an explanation?

Anyone any thoughts??

Designer V8.04, Win XP
    Andrew

Lake District Web Design
    Virtual Tours and Panoramas

Most likely reason could be the need to have an "index" page in a directory to prevent unauthorised browsing and file listing on some servers

Bikster
    SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

That would make sense but there's something else unusual!

When I first started on the site, I imported a dreamweaver design which I (at least thought) subsequently discarded. Now this layout keeps appearing at acatalog/index.html.
      Andrew

Lake District Web Design

Comment

Is it something as basic as having the file in the additional files list inside of Actinic?

Bikster

Comment

Sadly not!
          Andrew

Lake District Web Design

Comment

Ah well - the simplest solutions are usually the last option to be looked at

Bikster

Comment

With v7 there was a problem where files were sometimes written into the site folder and Actinic would then load them, even though they did not appear in the navigation or the content tree. Could this be the same problem?

If there is an index.html in your site folder (not the SiteHTML, but the main site folder) you can safely delete it and try refreshing the site again to see if the problem goes away.
              Bill
              www.egyptianwonders.co.uk
              Text directoryWorldwide Actinic(TM) shops
              BC Ness Solutions Support services, custom software
              Registered Microsoft™ Partner (ISV)
              VoIP UK: 0131 208 0605
              Located: Alexandria, EGYPT

Comment

Working...
              X