More than one value against a new Variable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More than one value against a new Variable

I'm trying to experiment with using new Variables against my Products to effectively make an Advanced search. Is it possible to add more than a single value to a new Product variable?

An example of my problem is this:
    I am selling motorcycle spares. If I am selling a piston it will fit a particular range of bikes e.g. 125cc, 2001 to 2003. I have a variable called cc which has one value=125. I have a variable called Fitment year which really has 3 values= 2001, 2002, 2003
    I'm making these Variables searchable allowing the user to narrow their search for 'Piston' by selecting their 'cc' and 'year' from drop down menus.

I can enter the fitment year as text= 2001-2003 but this creates another problem...the 2001-2003 value is not consistent across all products i.e I may also have another piston which fits 250cc 2001-2002. My 'cc' drop down list will be intuitive because it will have two distinct values 125 and 250. The 'year' drop down will be confusing to the user whose bike is 2001 or 2002 because it will not be obvious which value to select, values being 2001-2002 and 2001-2003

Any suggestions?

Sounds like you need an array rather than variables but thats not possible with actinic.

The only solution I can think of right now is to have a large number of true/false variables, var2000, var2001, var2002 and so on, and set them to default as false. You can then select the years you want and set them to true.

While this may be an annoying and time consuming solution to the problem, its the only thing i can think of. Im sure somebody with more knowledge proberbly has a better idea though

Comment

Ian,

You may want to take a look at the Advanced Users Guide, page 81 for the topic 'Creating a Listing Page which Links Through to Full Details Pages'.

Kind regards,
      Bruce King
      SellerDeck

Comment

Hi Bruce
        I've downloaded the latest Advanced Guide and can't find this article on Page 81!! Am I missing someting?
        Cheers
        Ian

Comment

Rather than ask for the year, could you not ask for the numericals in the first 4 characters of their registration number.

i.e. if my new reg (which they will mostly be on) was MU51 CAL

then i would select "51" from your drop down menu, this way you could nail it down to a 6 month period.

Comment

Working...
          X