Clean Install - Back again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clean Install - Back again

I've spent the last few days updating the products from an Oct 06 snapshot from V7 that I've imported into a V8 clean install. Everything seems to have gone okay but I now need to tweak the layouts a bit.

What I need to do first of all is to get my logo to align centrally and then fix the width of the side bars and main body so that they align directly underneath the logo.

I did achieve this in V7 editing the templates in Dreamweaver but I've yet to get my head around the way V8 design options work.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    www.ecclestonanglingcentre.co.uk

Hmmm, maybe I'm starting to get somewhere

I've sort of managed to get the main body of the site to align directly under my main logo by adjusting the width setting in the coding. I'm presuming removing the % from the width value and replacing with a numerical value minus the % creates a fixed width?

I still need to work on the heading, can this be adjusted using the same method above?

Also I would like the site to site in the centre of the page, Bill, Lee would using your instructions from earlier posts enable me to achieve this?

Kind regards

Comment

Yes, you can change the heading to a fixed width also, and yes, using the <div technique can be used to centre the new theme. I still favour using the css method, as this allows you to make changes in a uniform way across the site. (Note Lee's correction to the margin assignment)

If you use different layouts for checkout, home page and search results, then a div with an id can be applied to all of those layouts and one change in the css file would change all. (example, adding a background colour)

Using an inline <div align="center"> on each layout would give you the central alignment, but no flexibility. To add a background colour you would need to change the code on each of the layouts affected.
      Bill
      www.egyptianwonders.co.uk
      Text directoryWorldwide Actinic(TM) shops
      BC Ness Solutions Support services, custom software
      Registered Microsoft™ Partner (ISV)
      VoIP UK: 0131 208 0605
      Located: Alexandria, EGYPT

Comment

Yes, that worked. I fixed the width of the logo and had to do the same for the top navigation bar. Just one thing, the background colour of the logo was blue I've tried changing this to white in Themes/Colour....etc, but in doing this it alters other parts of the site (the side bars change to white as well) is there a way just to change the background colour of the logo?

The reason being is that I've got a blue line at the right hand side of the logo that I'm presuming is just a bit of the background colour sticking out? I'd like to change this to white.......is this possible?

Comment

I've managed to sort out the background colour of the logo. A small .gif image file was responsible. Changed the image to white and replaced it in the site 1 folder.

Comment

I ended up going for the <div align="center"> just to see if it would work and it does indeed centre the page, but like last time it also centres the text on the page......see here giving me centered text in the left navigation side bar. Is it possible to centre the page but leave the text as is in the side bar?

Comment

Immediately follow the <div align="center"> with a <div align="left"> and add another closing </div> at the end of the page.

That should pull everything back into place.
              Bill

Comment

That seems to have put it back too the way it was see here Have I got the closing </div> in the right place?

Comment

No - you have put it outside the page. It should be </div></div></body></html>
                  Bill

Comment

Hmmmm, no joy I'm afraid.....it's still the same as before, sorry

Comment

Hmm - try changing <div align="left"> to <div style="text-align: left">
                      Bill

Comment

Hi Bill,

I'm presuming the double </div> at the bottom remains the same? Just tried replacing the <div align="left"> with the <div style="text-align: left"> and I'm afraid the results are the same.....I've uploaded it here

Kind regards

Comment

Working...
                        X