Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fergusw
    Hi Bun,
    In V8 there is another way to get what you want. It is a little convoluted however it does allow for you to control whether the first AND/OR last row of a list will span the number of columns you specify.

I have used this before to have a 1 fragment in 1st row, (n) fragments in subsequent rows followed by 1 fragment in last row.

(NB. You can replace fragment with section or product in above line depending on what it is that the actinic list is showing)

It requires amending the "List Layout settings" in the design tab for fragment/product/section.

Simply, you define in the "List Layout Settings" in the "Edit Rows and Columns" window how you want the rows to display.

e.g. to ensure that the last item displays across the bottom of the 'table' spanning all the columns then simply define the last row as having 1 no. of items and specify a colspan property for the TD for that row as being the column count variable. e.g. for fragments see screenshot
    [ATTACH]2267[/ATTACH]

All you then have to do is be careful of the number of items you have in the list. I.e. if you have 3 in a column and you want 1 flowing along bottom then logic dictates you want 4 or 7 or 10 items and so on.

There are ways to further improve this model to be even more flexible using conditions and alternative rows/columns but I wont go into that here.....

Hope this makes sense and gives you another way to manage this.

It is better than the hard coded way, although not as customisable, as it allows you to use actinic's own elements for each column i.e. Fragments, products or sections.
    Hi Fergus,

At the moment I'm using Duncans code above which does lay out the three images how I want them, but, I can see the attraction of your suggestion....especially if it allows me to layout fragments, products and sections?

I've managed to find all the options you mention but I'm very unsure of the process?

If I may be so bold would you be kind enough to list a step by step process?

Thank you for your patience
    www.ecclestonanglingcentre.co.uk

Comment

Bun,

Just to clarify, in case of any possible confusion, the method I described allows you to control the list layout of either Fragments, Products or Sections exclusively and NOT a combination of these 3 types.

Is this what youunderstood from my post and still what you require ?
      If so I'll do my best to explain it step by step for you.
      Fergus Weir - teclan ltd
      Ecommerce Digital Marketing

SellerDeck Responsive Web Design

SellerDeck Hosting
      SellerDeck Digital Marketing

Comment

Bun,

Just to clarify, in case of any possible confusion, the method I described allows you to control the list layout of either Fragments, Products or Sections exclusively and NOT a combination of these 3 types.

Is this what youunderstood from my post and still what you require ?
        If so I'll do my best to explain it step by step for you.
        Hi Fergus,

So if I were to use both fragments and product layouts on the same page this would not be possible? Fingers crossed this might explain what I'm after.....see here

Kind regards

Comment

Bun,
          Product layouts and Fragment layouts are handled in the same List Layout when they are displayed within the same section page.
          Section layouts are seperate.
          i.e.
          You could have the following layout on the same page:
          1 section on 1st row
          3 sections on 2nd row
          1 section on last row
          followed by (on same page)
          1 product/fragment on 1st row
          3 products/fragments on 2nd row
          1 product/fragment on last row

I hope this clarifies the possibilities. If not I could put a test page up to better show the above.
          Fergus Weir - teclan ltd

SellerDeck Hosting

Comment

Bun,
            Product layouts and Fragment layouts are handled in the same List Layout when they are displayed within the same section page.
            Section layouts are seperate.
            i.e.
            You could have the following layout on the same page:
            1 section on 1st row
            3 sections on 2nd row
            1 section on last row
            followed by (on same page)
            1 product/fragment on 1st row
            3 products/fragments on 2nd row
            1 product/fragment on last row

I hope this clarifies the possibilities. If not I could put a test page up to better show the above.
            Hi Fergus,

So I could display both fragment and product layouts on the same page in multiple columns? That sounds exactly what I'm after.

"I hope this clarifies the possibilities. If not I could put a test page up to better show the above"

Yes, I would very much appreciate that, and thank you for your time Fergus

Comment

Bun,

Please view

http://testarea9.teclan.org/acatalog/Books.html

This shows a page with the following defined in the content tree: itClick image for larger version

Name:	screenshot2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	541798

displaying a mix of sections, products, and fragments.
              I have set it to be hard coded as 1 row, 3 row(s), 1 row for the product fragment mix.

This image
              Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot3.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	541799

shows the list layout setting for the table that holds the products and fragments.

As I said before, you can get really quite clever in these List Layouts if you start introducing Conditions e.g. specifying conditions comparing ListItemCount against the ColumnCount at each iteration of the table, but I won't go into that here.

Hope this helps.....
              Fergus Weir - teclan ltd

SellerDeck Hosting

Comment

Hmmmm

Is this still the only way to do this in V9, i know little has changed between v8 & 9 with that respect but wondered if someone else had an alternative.

If not then i know what i need to be looking into monday. Really can do it today

Comment

Darren - I prefer to strip out the <table> tags from the lists and the products / fragments and float everything via CSS ... you can then have whatever size, shape, style of layout you want by simply declaring the different layouts.

I have 6 different fragment layouts on http://www.barrelsandbottles.co.uk/index.htm (there is another layout which allows 3 to sit side by side)

Bikster
                  SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

Cheers Jont

thats neat, just one thing as i know you are a perfectionist "whats hot" the list looks a little unbalanced.

Hmmm i can see i am going to have to tackle this when im 100% on the ball. Thanks for the idea though

Comment

Aye - that does not sit well with my love of symmetry but is an evil necessity due to the range shapes from the product images

Bikster

Comment

Well i recon you should resize all you images to be the same

Comment

You don't think my OCD hasn't considered that already? They are the same width which works beautifully at the product / section level but the height is the issue ... the default orientation is tall and thin (bottles of wine) so anything that is squat would need white space adding to the bottom to get the same size .. but that would also look pants on the slidy thing on the homepage.... I tend not to hover too long on the homepage and you will note it is beneath the fold so I don't have to see it

Bikster

Comment

Only messing with ya, You know this is far more than i could achieve

Comment

Working...
                            X