Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Speed Kills (die of boredom zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speed Kills (die of boredom zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz)

I've seen the thread about how s.l..o......w Actinic suddenly became with version 8. And I duly note that 8.04 is the one where these issues have been sorted out. I still have some questions tho'

Has anyone come up with any 'tricks' to help Actinic run faster, apart from keeping preview off!

Does compacting the database give a smaller snapshot?

If, as many believe, part of the bottleneck is in the relationship between Actinic and Access, would using ODBC drivers to connect to a mySQL database be quicker?

What about the rumours of a version that uses an SQL database? As a linux developer I want it NOW!

And talking of linux... Why no version for us, I have seen it said in these forums that Apache supports Actinic better than IIS, so why do we have to use Windows to create shops to run under Linux...

Hi

Compacting the databases cleans up the database(ActinicCatalog.Mdb) and removes unwanted data from there, so this will make the database smaller and in turn that may make the snapshot smaller.

Have you tried collapsing your content tree to see if that speeds up the loading of the software. Other then this and what you have already tried, I don't think there is much else.

Regarding the other questions, I will have to pass them to development for their comments. I'll update this thread when I hear back from them.
    Kiran Chandran
    Technical Support - SellerDeck
    http://www.sellerdeck.co.uk/

Further help can also be found at http://community.sellerdeck.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27

Comment

And talking of linux...
      Two reasons spring to mind.

1) Actinic uses an Access database internally for just about everything from Products to Layouts.

2) Actinic's main customer base is small shop owners. The likelyhood of any them using Linux (excellent O/S though it is) is close to nill.

If your main box is a Linux one there's always VMWare. I use it in the other direction so I can run Suse Linux without rebooting.
      Norman - www.drillpine.biz
      Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

Thanks

Thank you both for your comments.

So, I'll need a much faster machine, with loadsa memory.

Hmm, so Actinic uses Access internally anyway, then not much point strapping it to a mySQL database, but if the rumours of an SQL version that uses SQL internally are true then I can look forward to being a happy bunny... perhaps. C'mon developers, whats the news on this exciting development!

And I take the point about most Actinic clients being shopkeepers not developers - although most of the merchants we resell Actinic to get us to do the design and initial import of products.

Cheers.

Comment

The SQL version that is on the cards is not mySQL, but MS SQL

Actinic Enterprise is the title in question, so to run it will need Windows Server and MS SQL Server - no open source here.

Comment

Working...
          X