Stock control using hidden prod/component/attribute & choice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stock control using hidden prod/component/attribute & choice

I sell baby and children's clothes and would like to hold stock quantities at a size level to minimise customer dissatisfaction. Having followed other threads, I set one product up to test it out as following:

Main product: Plum corduroy trousers
    Component(1): Detail
    Attribute(1): Size
    Choices (4): 6 months, 9 months, 12 months and 18 months

Within the same section, I set up hidden products for each of the choices and have associated each of my choices with the relevant hidden product (from the Permutations tab in my component).

I have stock monitoring turned off within the main product and switched on within the hidden products. The stock levels are set to estimated stock in hand=1,warn if below=1 and suspend orders if below=1. Actinic will not allow me to set the suspend quantity to 0 (it says that the suspend quantity has to be lower than the warn if below quantity and I thought zero would be less than 1 but???)

I only hold 1 of each size in stock and can not always re-order hence the importance of stock control.

However when I put this into the live environment the website allowed me to order 2 size 18 months trousers and I could go right through checkout and download the order (I have of course since cancelled it).

All help much needed! Thanks.

Caro,

This is a known issue with Actinic, the reason you are able to add 2 products to cart is because the Database is on your PC and not the online store, hence you need to download and then upload for Actinic to be able to publish live stock figures.

The problem here is that the 'Max Quantity Allowed' field is not honored when the product is associated to another product via a component. This means that if a particular choice has a stock level of '1' (and you have set the 'Max Quantity Allowed to '1') then when someone tries to order 3 of that choice, then Actinic will still take the order. This is still an outstanding problem.

On the other hand, however, Actinic will give you a message when you retrieve the order that the stock level has gone down significantly, and you can then view 'View | Search Settings' to confirm the products with low stock. The solution is to have a higher suspend if below level but that is not suitable for you.

A search on the community will provide a lot of other threads dealing with this topic.

Kind regards,
    Bruce King
    SellerDeck

Comment

Bruce
      Your response is much appreciated but does not resolve the issue - I do hold a quantity of more than 1 of some sizes (in more popular ranges) so could not set max ordering to 1 even if it did work for components related to hidden products.

Also I have been through a large number of threads all of which seem to end without resolution and many of which are quite old or relate to previous versions of Catalog.

What is the best I can expect to achieve in your opinion with current functionality and is this something which will be fixed in a newer version and what is that going to cost me?

Is my only option to delete the size choice affected when an item goes out of stock or is there a way of hiding it?

Many thanks,
      Carolyn

Comment

You could always use one of mole-ends products which will automatically download orders at preset intervals and so minimise the chance of this happening.

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce
          The problem here is that the 'Max Quantity Allowed' field is not honored when the product is associated to another product via a component. This means that if a particular choice has a stock level of '1' (and you have set the 'Max Quantity Allowed to '1') then when someone tries to order 3 of that choice, then Actinic will still take the order. This is still an outstanding problem.
          Has there been any sort of "fix" for this in 8.5.1 yet?
          Not that I could get the fix for 7.0.7 to work...but I am soon to be uploading my 8.5.1 store live and was wondering if there is a resolution for this problem yet?
          Cheers
          Tracey

Comment

Originally posted by budgetbumps
            Not that I could get the fix for 7.0.7 to work...but I am soon to be uploading my 8.5.1 store live and was wondering if there is a resolution for this problem yet?
            Cheers
            As far as I know, the fix you were given for 7.0.7 was the same as the one Chris has given me for 8.5.0.1, so if it doesn't work in 7.0.7 the chances are it won't work in 8.5.0.1
            I haven't tried it as I'm not going through the hassle to upgrade as I would prefer to leave Actinic altogether and use software that has proper live stock control and unique code Gift vouchers etc.

Comment

Yes - the same fix is available in 8.5.1 as is available in 7.0.7.

Comment

ok, Chris, thanks.
                I'll try it and see if it works any better on 8.5.1 than it did on my 7.0.7 site (for which my "support" ticket seems to have vanished into oblivion!)

I'll give it a try on my 8.5.1 site today while it's still in test mode.

Edited to add....I got the same error when confirming cart on 8.5.1 as I did on 7.0.7

Just my luck

and thanks, Chris, for reporting my non-support ticket
                Tracey

Comment

Working...
                X