Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how to generate double pages for each section?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how to generate double pages for each section?

I know what I'm going to achieve may seem odd, but I do need double pages based on two sets of overall layout for each section.

For example, if I assign "catalogLayout1" as Overall Page Layout and name Page Name "xxx.html", how can Actinic automatically generate another page "xxx.html2" based on "catalogLayout2" upon upload? I need this automatically happen for most of sections.

Possible?

Be aware that the SEs will not take kindly to duplicate content.

You would have to create duplicate products in sections and also hard code the navigation to only include the relevant pages. You can then change your layout and navigation using blocks and a custom variable as a test.

The checkout could be more compex I imagine though.

Comment

I would be astonished if it is possible as duplicate content is a serious no-no.

The only way i can think you could do this, would be to duplicate the section once you have created it and apply your desired layout to the duplicate section.

Comment

The reason of doing so is to improve the site quality, at least make it look like being improved.

One set of layout is for SEs, which does not contain error palceholders such as <Actinic:CartError_List/>.

Another set of layout is for cgi-bin, which can show error message. SEs won't see these pages.

Duplicate sections won't work because if I copy and paste, actinic will ask me to rename product refs.

Comment

The products can be duplicates of the originals.

Comment

Originally posted by anqi
            The reason of doing so is to improve the site quality, at least make it look like being improved.

One set of layout is for SEs, which does not contain error palceholders such as <Actinic:CartError_List/>.

Another set of layout is for cgi-bin, which can show error message. SEs won't see these pages.

Duplicate sections won't work because if I copy and paste, actinic will ask me to rename product refs.
            Wac wac ooops

This kind of cloak and dagger is sniffed out quite quickly I am afraid by the bots. Without fear of contradiction, this will definitely result in penalties.

Don't shoot the messenger

Rule number 1 (sorry if I am teaching you how to suck eggs) build your site for the VISITOR, straight forward, easy to use, content rich sites will rank very well with this approach without the need for back door tactics and running the risk of penalties.

HTH
            Affordable solutions for busy professionals.
            Website Maintenance | UK Web Hosting

Comment

It might be easier to change some perl scripts to recognise something like <div id="CartErrorList"/> instead of <Actinic:CartError_List/>. But I don't know if actinic has its own reason in using <Actinic:CartError_List/>

Comment

Originally posted by leehack
                The products can be duplicates of the originals.
                Yes, but if products change frequently in sections this approach still takes too much time.

Comment

An

There are numerous actinic websites which all rank very highly without doing what you intend to or amending anything. V8 is especially good SEO wise. If you want an opinion, then don't get too hung up on things you consider bad, concentrate the time on building a great site.

Comment

Originally posted by anqi
                    Yes, but if products change frequently in sections this approach still takes too much time.
                    If the products are going to be changing frequently, there is already a lot of time that will have to be invested. Duplicating products/sections is really a matter of seconds, i assure you.

Comment

As for SE ranking, Actinic is not bad, I admit.

With or without <Actinic:CartError_List/>, it may make no difference to SEs, but do make difference to XHTML validator.

If XHTML is achievable with a little effort, why not do it?

Actually I have another thought:
                      1. direct PAGEFILENAME to a file, say "carterror.html";
                      2. carterror.html's structure:
                      <html>
                      <Actinic:CartError_List/>
                      <Actinic:CartError ProdRef="xxx1"/>
                      <Actinic:CartError ProdRef="xxx2"/>
                      (a complete product list)
                      <script type="text/javascript">
                      //<![CDATA[
                      (read in the body of referrer)
                      (move error message to the right place)
                      //]]>
                      </script>
                      </html>

No need to change perl, and no need to double pages.

Comment

If you can get Actinic xhtml compliant, then sell it to Actinic, cos they have stated quite clearly they cannot!

Comment

Actinic can't doesn't means I can't.

Actinic takes care of all kinds of setting of shopping mode, etc. but I only need to worry about my own setting, which make things easier.

Will see...

Comment

Ang

whilst your enthusiasm is to be applauded, Actinic contains many variables that will never be compliant but must be present for the store to function.

There are chats about this in the forum with a list of some of the permanent offenders.

Would not loose time and sleep over this area IMHO.

Regards
                            Affordable solutions for busy professionals.
                            Website Maintenance | UK Web Hosting

Comment

Originally posted by los_design
                              Ang

whilst your enthusiasm is to be applauded, Actinic contains many variables that will never be compliant but must be present for the store to function.

There are chats about this in the forum with a list of some of the permanent offenders.

Would not loose time and sleep over this area IMHO.

Regards
                              Hi, I don't need all variables working for my site.

Comment

Working...
                              X