Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

actinic multi user

Hi

We have just ordered v8 multi user license for a customer of ours and received it through. Now we haven't much experience with the multi user site in terms of setting it up so i just have a few questions.
    1. Normally in actinic you install the software on your own computer. With multiuser, does the program get installed on their server?
    2. They currently have a shop running in v6. In order to bring this shop into v8, is it a case of suspending ordering on their current shop, creating a sanp shot, then importing the snapshot into a site in v8 and let actinic do the necessary upgrade?
    3. Once it is all installed, is there some kind of admin area in order to set up the administrator and users etc?
    4. they would also like to use the sage line 50 link. Again i have never had a play with this. how do the 2 programs actually link? Is it pretty straight forward?

I think that is all for now. I am probably going out to see the customer in the next couple of days to help them set this up, if anyone has any hits and tips, any would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Martin

Normally in actinic you install the software on your own computer. With multiuser, does the program get installed on their server?
    You install Actinic onto a single computer and then setup a shared drive on other computers that want to also use Actinic.
    They currently have a shop running in v6. In order to bring this shop into v8, is it a case of suspending ordering on their current shop, creating a sanp shot, then importing the snapshot into a site in v8 and let actinic do the necessary upgrade?
    You can upgrade the previous version by importing a snapshot or by upgrading the site when you install Actinic V8 on the machine that is going to use Actinic.
    Once it is all installed, is there some kind of admin area in order to set up the administrator and users etc?
    Yes, there are options on the Actinic menu to do this, you have to login as an administrative account to see and use these options.

Regards,
    Jan Strassen, Mole End Software - Plugins and Reports for Actinic V4 to V11, Sellerdeck V11 to V2018, Sellerdeck Cloud
    Visit our facebook page for the latest news and special offers from Mole End

Top Quality Integrated label paper for Actinic and Sellerdeck
    A4 Paper with one or two peel off labels, free reports available for our customers
    Product Mash for Sellerdeck
    Link to Google Shopping and other channels, increase sales traffic, prices from £29.95
    Multichannel order processing
    Process Actinic, Sellerdeck, Amazon, Ebay, Playtrade orders with a single program, low cost lite version now available from £19.95

Comment

Originally posted by Jan
      You install Actinic onto a single computer and then setup a shared drive on other computers that want to also use Actinic.

so do i need to install actinic on all computers and then within actinic point where it looks for the database to the main pc? Also rather than set it up on a machine, is it possible to install it on a server?

Thanks

MArtin

Comment

Sorry that was confusing, you install it onto all of them but designate one as the master computer and the database resides there.

Regards,
        Jan Strassen, Mole End Software - Plugins and Reports for Actinic V4 to V11, Sellerdeck V11 to V2018, Sellerdeck Cloud
        Visit our facebook page for the latest news and special offers from Mole End

Top Quality Integrated label paper for Actinic and Sellerdeck
        A4 Paper with one or two peel off labels, free reports available for our customers
        Product Mash for Sellerdeck
        Link to Google Shopping and other channels, increase sales traffic, prices from £29.95
        Multichannel order processing
        Process Actinic, Sellerdeck, Amazon, Ebay, Playtrade orders with a single program, low cost lite version now available from £19.95

Comment

Hi

I am going out to see the customer this afternoon to install it on their machines.

Just as a quick test, i installed the program on one of our macines just to see how different it was.

I have installed the program and managed to find the password to log on as the administrator here (should this not be in the user guide?). Now if i was to go and set it up on another machine, would i install the software on machine 2, log in as the administrator again, and then point to the database on machine number 1?

If so, where is the option to do this. If i go to file there is an option for external links however when i select Link Product To Table in an External Database it pops up asking that the ref no needs to be greater than 0? Is this just a case of turning the auto gen feature off? Or am i way off the mark?

Are there any multiuser setup guides i can have a read of as there appears to be none on the actinic site?

Thanks

Comment

On the Administrators computer or the computer he is using to log on you can change the users log on details under settings

The second computer is loaded with actinic as normal but uses the second key as supplied by actinic

The second computer when initially opened as administrator for the first time will then ask you to connect to the main database, once you have done this you can log out and then relog in with the user name and password the Administrator has setup

We use the main computer as the master but prity sure you can use a server and assume you use the key twice once on the server and once on the main computer

Anyone can then log in up to the number of licences you own

Sage line 50 works as normal
            Last edited by chris ashdown; 22-Feb-2007, 09:30 AM. Reason: addition
            Chris Ashdown

Comment

Hi Chris

Thanks for the response.

So just so i am clear.
              1. i would install actinic as normal on one PC
              2. When installed i would then assign the other users
              3. i would then go onto pc 2 and install actinic as normal again
              4. once installed i would log in as the administrator again and i would set the database i would want to link to? Does a box automatically appear asking me for this or is it i go to file and external links? would the link be something along the line of:

\\COMPUTERNAME\c\Program Files\Actinic v8\Sites\Site1\ActinicCatalog.mdb

5. then i would log out and then repeat these steps for the other licences i have?

Im sure im making sound more hard work than what it is. If there is an installation guide for this, maybe someone would be kind enough to post it on here?

Thanks

Comment

Hi I had the same problem yesterday but got a guide from the help desk but I can't upload it for some reason i'll nkeep trying but if you PM me Ill email it to you. Donna
                Donna

Chief bunting supplier to Take That!

Comment

Originally posted by web@ack
                  Im sure im making sound more hard work than what it is. If there is an installation guide for this, maybe someone would be kind enough to post it on here?

Thanks
                  I'm not aware of an instalation guide but its simply a case of mapping the 2nd and 3rd pc's (and so on) to the database on the main pc, nothing more. I believe the expert on m-u at Actinic is James Mathews(?), might be worth giving them a call.
                  Football Heaven

For all kinds of football souvenirs and memorabilia.

Comment

I have received the guide through from actinic although it seemed to be a v7 document?

Anyway, it basically said when you are installing on the 2nd machine, it asks you to specify the directory of the site. Now this didnt happen on my first installation. Im assuming that somewhere in the setup process it detects we have already installed one copy and therefore it then asks where that installation is?????

Comment

Hi

If you follow the instructions later on in the document for the networking etc it all works perfectly!! Some of the commentary is incorrect and you need to be bold! and head on but we have no IT experience and did it yesterday in about an hour!!

Donna
                      Donna

Chief bunting supplier to Take That!

Comment

Martin

Load up on the main computer with First key

Load up on second computer with 2nd key

In both instances uses Administrator as password

Find the database on 2nd computer

Log out of second computer

Then on main computer set up users

You should be up and running

If more than one site you can set it up to the same passwords for each site and then be able to change between sites without having to keep entering new passwords
                        Chris Ashdown

Comment

Working...
                        X