Extended Info Single Page Title and Meta Data

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Extended Info Single Page Title and Meta Data

The Page Title and Meta Tags of a single product page using the Extended Info Page don't pick up this detail from anywhere.

You could use the Product Name variable for the Title but in general do you need to create additional variables for these?

That is not so much of a problem but with many products they are very difficult to maintain. Unlike the Brochure and Section pages if you want to easily maintain these they seemingly don't form part of a Hierarchical / Flat export / import.

Am I missing something or has anyone got a work around?

Hi

On my extended info page i have changed the meta name to be the product name and meta description to be the product description.

I believe if you dont chenge these then the page just uses the same meta detail as the category page it is in which is not very helpful with the search engines as it can look like duplicate content.

Kind regards
    Jon
    www.designtoplease.co.uk
    www.getmeoutofahole.com
    www.toys4james.co.uk
    Located in Herts

Comment

The Page Title and Meta Tags of a single product page using the Extended Info Page don't pick up this detail from anywhere
      Correct - using the ext info as a single product page IMO is an SEO disaster and I would not use it at any price.

Recent discussion on this and the alternatives recently if you search.

Comment

Originally posted by wfl
        The Page Title and Meta Tags of a single product page using the Extended Info Page don't pick up this detail from anywhere.
        Tried it on a development site, bought the T-Shirt then changed back.

The upswing was massive (approx. 95% improvement when switched back)

In agreement with Malcolm, 100% SEO disaster waiting to happen.
        Affordable solutions for busy professionals.
        Website Maintenance | UK Web Hosting

Comment

But did you try populating the Meta info correctly?

My outer skin is from the site page design.

It is easy to use the Product Name in the page title - that is a good start.

ATM I have created a variable each for the Description and the Keywords.

After you have done all that and if you have good product descriptions on the Single Product page why should it be a disaster. All you are creating is more content with greater relevance?

Also using these for CPC advertising should increase relevance and ranking enormously.

Comment

Hi chaps

I've raised a bug to improve the SEO data for these pages.

Comment

Aha

The 2 variables I created do come across with a Hierarchical export so problem nearly solved.

I imagine Chris that you would basically add what I have just done?

Comment

Correct - using the ext info as a single product page IMO is an SEO disaster and I would not use it at any price.
                I agree with this if you leave the meta description and name set to the standard variables as it means you have pages with duplicate meta data which does not look good to search engines.

Since changing the meta description and meta name on the extended info to the product description and meta description variables i have started to see an improvement in the naturals. This method means you ave very targetted meta keywords and descriptions as they are specific to each individual product, although it does limit you to just having one meta keyword being the product name.

Regards
                Jon
                www.designtoplease.co.uk
                www.getmeoutofahole.com
                www.toys4james.co.uk
                Located in Herts

Comment

I suppose you might want the option to use the meta content specified at the section level - and then have the option to override it with your own custom content. I'll have a think about it some more.

Are you aware there is a convertor in v8 now that can automatically build you a hierarchical file from a flat file - look in the Importing section of the help for details.

Comment

Originally posted by cdicken
                    I suppose you might want the option to use the meta content specified at the section level - and then have the option to override it with your own custom content. I'll have a think about it some more.
                    That is what I have done with my Variable. Set a default and then override at product level.

Originally posted by cdicken
                    Are you aware there is a convertor in v8 now that can automatically build you a hierarchical file from a flat file - look in the Importing section of the help for details.
                    Yes. What I hope we can do is maintain separate flat files for the marketing stuff, i.e. Page Title, Meta Content, Meta Keywords, etc., for both Brochure and Catalog and just import them as necessary?

Comment

yep - that should work fine.

Comment

But did you try populating the Meta info correctly?
                        There are a whole host of reasons I dont use them which I have discussed indepth on other threads. At the end of the day which method you pick is upto you.

Comment

Working...
                        X