No announcement yet.

Image Size

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This then allows you to cater for different ratio raw images, if you try and create a square image from a raw image with say a 4x3 ratio, you will end up with a squashed mess.
    Hi, Lee

My patch currently creates fixed size images but adds borders to preserve aspect ratio. I've sent you a test copy.
    Norman - www.drillpine.biz
    Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

I've no control over what Actinic uploads or not. It seems that if you put something into the Product Image field, then Actinic will upload it.

Comment

Originally posted by NormanRouxel
        Hi, Lee

My patch currently creates fixed size images but adds borders to preserve aspect ratio. I've sent you a test copy.
        Thats a good idea, i presume you set the border colour to the same as your shop's background colour and bob's your uncle.

Comment

That's really cool the way you've done that, if you get round the upload problem you have a real winner there.

Racking my brain to throw some impossible ideas at you on how to get round it.

Comment

Should be possible to extend the resizer to step through the filelist on completion and if picture1.jpg and img_picture1.jpg are both found, move picture1.jpg to a selectable 'processed images' folder, then rename the img_picture1.jpg back to picture1.jpg.

I could adapt the resizer I use in Act2pdf to do this in a matter of minutes, but I see no reason to compete head to head with Norman.
            Bill
            www.egyptianwonders.co.uk
            Text directoryWorldwide Actinic(TM) shops
            BC Ness Solutions Support services, custom software
            Registered Microsoft™ Partner (ISV)
            VoIP UK: 0131 208 0605
            Located: Alexandria, EGYPT

Comment

POsted when pc was not updated.

Comment

I've already tried what Bill suggests and it worked fine. This also gets around the problem of uploading original large images as, in effect, it is the originals that get resized (but we make an extra copy somewhere safe before doing so).

However I'm reluctant to release anything that modifies the users files.

One problem in doing this is if the user briefly selects a tiny image size and does a preview then the entire set of images gets rewritten. User switches back to larger sizes but we definitely don't want to scale these small images up. So we need some way to look in the Backup folder and recover the master image in this case. Not impossible to do but extra hassle and risk of failure.

The patch would have to do the above:-

1) Look at Product Image file-name.
                2) If image isn't in AutoImages sub-folder do no further processing and treat as standard image.
                3) If image is same size as we want, no more processing needed. Just use it.
                4) Image is smaller than required: look in BackupImages for original. If found, use the backup to create new image. If not found, use smaller image (perhaps issue warning).
                5) Image is bigger than required: Make copy in BackupImages but only if there's no image already backed up. If there is already a backed up image we need to determine if it's the same image (tricky as it may not be the same size - we probably have to rescale both images to the same size and binary compare them). Now create alternate image and overwrite old.

Quite a lot to do, eh!

Comment

Quite a lot to do, eh!
                  Maybe but it would make a killer application for V8 and I for one will be buying it - taking pre-orders yet norm?

Comment

OK - You have made my day norm. Ive just been playing with your beta and it is fantastic - adding this to V8 will make V8 THE e-commerce software must have for DIY site builders as it will make adding images childs play.

Comment

Sell it to Actinic Norm, i agree it's really cool.

Comment

is there an inclusion whereby it doesn't resize if the image is already smaller than the required width or height?

one of my sites has images that are 40 px by 400px,as well as 400x40, so what how would i set this up to get images 125x125 and 400x400?

Comment

is there an inclusion whereby it doesn't resize if the image is already smaller than the required width or height
                          That's easy to do so I've just added it in.

As to having the ocassional image that you want to display at bigger sizes, you could simply set the DefaultProductWidth (or Height) as required just for that Product.

Note to all. It may be some time before I can do much more with this as I've a lot on my plate at the moment.

Comment

It may be some time before I can do much more with this as I've a lot on my plate at the moment
                            I think what you have done in the past 24hrs is outstanding.

Comment

this patch is so cooollll!!!!

i'm going to play to see if I can extend it to extended info

[edit- thinking aloud] shouldn't have to do anything for extended info, if you have one product image, and size it at 400x400 for example. Use this image in extended info, and then resize it for product image.

If my understanding is correct, Norman's code resizes the image in the product layout and makes and uses the copy.

Comment

this patch is so cooollll!!!!
                                More pre orders from jo then

Comment

Working...
                                X