No announcement yet.

Permissions problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, you need to enable 'write' permissions for all and no, this doesn't open you up to attacks as people still need a username and password to transfer files.

Mike
    -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

Comment

I tried setting them all to write and not only did it not work but it also knocked my 'live' Catalogue version off!

Comment

Changing the permissions to 777 shouldn't affect anything already running.

Was it changing the permissions or trying to do an upload of V8 afterwards?

Mike

PS. I'm a bit confused here. Are you trying to upload V8 to overwrite an existing V6 site or onto some new space?

Comment

Sorry, I don't understand the 777 thing!

I have got a site running on Catalogue version 6 and have imported the snapshot into Business Version 8, made all of the changes that I want and then when I Test the Network setup' (all of the details are identical to the catalogue version) I get the 'You do not have write permissions to the cgi-bin directory "/public/www/cgi-bin/" or it does not exist.' error message.

Comment

OK. "777" is shorthand for setting the permissions to on for everybody (it comes from the binary for each user group so 1 1 1 means all enabled = 7).

have you tried doing an upload or are you just testing the network settings at the moment?

If you have a live site on V6 then I would try doing an upload to a test area first with V8 and once that works then do the upload to the live area.

Mike

Comment

Cheers for your help Olderscot, I have tried everything I can think of!

I have now sent a snapshot of the site to Support who are going to try and sort out the problem from there and see whether it is a Firewall issue.

Comment

Working...
              X