Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Managing the site design & content at the same time

Hi!

I'm just about to upload the first site that I've designed using Designer (well, I've uploaded it as a test but I'm about to upload it for real). I've tested the test and everything's working fine so I want to upload it so that my client can start adding more content.

I can't find much instruction on it so:

How do I get the site onto my client's version of Catalog Client? Do I just upload the site to the web and then download it to catalog client?

Also, is it a pain for me to keep playing around with the design once the client has it on catalog client?

Thanks!

Matthew.

Originally posted by Maff
    How do I get the site onto my client's version of Catalog Client?
    Snapshot - export from your machine. Snapshot - import on client.

Actinic cannot be downloaded from the website, so make sure the client gats a CD with the full site folder as well as the snapshot. That will be needed if he ever has to get new work done and you are not available.

Also, is it a pain for me to keep playing around with the design once the client has it on catalog client?
    Playing around? If the customer has the client version - s/he can not maintain the site and will be dependent on you to do any and all changes. Don't think that's a circumstance you want to play with, but a pain - yes probably, especially if it's a fast changing website.

To make their own changes and maintain the site, the ciustomer would need to have the full catalog version, not the client version. More details on the Actinic site.
    Bill
    www.egyptianwonders.co.uk
    Text directoryWorldwide Actinic(TM) shops
    BC Ness Solutions Support services, custom software
    Registered Microsoft™ Partner (ISV)
    VoIP UK: 0131 208 0605
    Located: Alexandria, EGYPT

Comment

So every time I change the site (even a little) I have to send a snapshot and the full site folder to the client?

Comment

Not necessarily every time.

I'll try an analagy, not sure if it will work though. Think of it like a backup management scanrio;

You might do a daily backup in house of critical data, and have one taken off-site 1 day per week of ALL data.

If data was more critical, you might do a backup in house every 4 hours of critical data, and have one taken off-site once a day of ALL data

...where the inhouse backup equates to snapshot, and the off-site backup equates to the site 1 folder.

BTW those timeframes are purely to illustrate the idea, not meant as a suggested timeframe for sending snapshots etc.

Comment

Originally posted by maffpunton
          So every time I change the site (even a little) I have to send a snapshot and the full site folder to the client?
          No. You will have seen the partial snapshot feature in your software - you can send over just the changed layouts thereby minimising files and interrupting the clients machine.

Bikster
          SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

The thought of allowing client's free rein to play with the design always fills me with dread! It's bad enough they can select more than 1 colour for text lol!
            Richard Gosler
            Phoenix Digital Media Ltd
            Dorset, UK

Comment

Working...
            X