Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Excluding Products From Certain shipping

OK i know another shipping question

I am hoping someone here can point me in the right direction, i seem to be having trouble seeing the wood from the trees at the moment.

All my products can be sent via standard parcel service but some times this is not the best option as it can take up to 7 days. If the item is small enough we send it via recorded but the customer does not get the choice because the size of some stuff means it can not go by this method. We also use special delivery but again some items can not go this way but people still choose it.

So what i want to do is restrict some products from certain services but still retain the ship by weight.

I have set up 2 test catagories at present one called "parcel service" the other called postal "service" and assigned some products to each catagory

now when i check out i still get the option to select either service which defeats the object really.

Does anyone know if i can still use the weights and restirct a product to a catagory?

Cheers
    Darren

Can anyone offer any help with this one, basically i want to small stuff to go via one method, and large stuff to go via another method, and obviously i can put the small stuff in with the big stuff if i desire.

The problem - people try and send big stuff by the small stuff delivery method

cheers
    Darren

Comment

Hi Darren,

I'm just testing this out…

I've set up two shipping categories:

Packet - £5 Fixed Charge
      Parcel - £10 Fixed Charge

I also set up a Class based on weight.

On my test site I have 3 products and I assigned the first two with a specific category and gave the third one a weight.

When testing this out, adding the first two to cart seemed to work well, the correct charge was assigned.

When checking out with just the third product in the cart I get the default category class and the weight class to choose from

Can you confirm this is the same problem?

I’ll investigate a way around this.
      Regards,

Toby Blanchard

Comment

Not quite the same but pretty much,

I have assigned products to either catagory but use weight and it gives me the option for both catagories.

It looks like you do have a similar problem, i am not sure i am going to get a fix for this. I think it is to complicated for the shipping to be able to say this product can go by either method but this product can only go by that method, but work out the charge based on the weight.

Cheers
        Darren

Comment

Toby

Have you had any luck

Cheers
          Darren

Comment

I'm checking some stuff out with development.
            Regards,

Toby Blanchard

Comment

Best of luck, i hope it proves to be of help, i really wanted to be able to sort my products out.

Guess it is going to be another long hard slog to get more improvements

Comment

Hi Darren,

It looks like this is not possible with the current shipping functionality. I think you need more product-specific shipping which we don't support.

I'll defiantly get something on the wish list.

I'm wondering if we can get something going with supplements...

Do you ship worldwide or just UK?
                Regards,

Toby Blanchard

Comment

Thanks Toby

OK, shipping is world wide, but the world wide bit is not as important as most of it go's via Global priority which is just about everything, that said it would be nice to get it to work on this as well.

I know there is probably some sort of work around but i am struggling at the moment to lay it out in my head.

The UK is the biggest problem, well royal mail are because of the silly letter/packet sizes, i can send it via standard parcel (royalmail) but not recorded (royalmail).

All i wanted was to let certain products be sent via Royal Special delivery because they are small enough and stop people using this service for large items. I had hoped the changes to shipping would have fixed it but guess its back to plan B then

The only solution is to change the shipping weights for the big items so they only go via standard parcel and small weights for the small stuff and then it can go in with the big stuff if ordered together, not ideal but feasible.

Not sure on this volumetric weight thing, have not looked at that yet to see if i can work something on that.

Cheers
                  Darren

Comment

Morning Darren,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

I'm still scratching my head to find an alternative workaround except using weights.

The developer bloke I was speaking to hasn't got back to me yet so I shall chase him up.
                    Regards,

Toby Blanchard

Comment

How about for the products that would use Category based shipping have the equivalent fixed charge in the product details and exclude from band calculation checked.

For products using weight-based calculation, have 0 supplement and enter the weight as normal.
                      Regards,

Toby Blanchard

Comment

Hi Toby

Sorry i missed you post,

I will have to have a look at this one, and see what i can come up with, could be the way to go

Cheers
                        Darren

Comment

Toby

cant seem to make this work either, will have a look tomorrow when i am a bit more awake

Cheers
                          Darren

Comment

Hi Darren,

I'm bringing this thread back following your recent post in another thread.

If I'm reading this correctly what you want is two product categories, each one using shipping by weight. The categories would be a) "Small items" that can be sent by mail (i.e. recorded, Special delivery, standard parcel, etc) and b) "large items" that can only be sent by Standard Parcel.

The way I would do this is to effectively duplicate the product weight bands by setting each of the 'large items' to have an additional 100Kg additional weight.

This way the large items would be too heavy to qualify for the mail services.

Then all you'd have to do is set up some additional weight bands for your standard parcel service to correctly price the large items. i.e. for example

1kg £4.95
                            2Kg £5.95
                            3Kg £6.95
                            101kg £4.95
                            102Kg £5.95
                            103Kg £6.95
                            202Kg £5.95
                            203Kg £6.95
                            etc

You have to create the bands for multiples of 100kg for when customers have more than one of the large items in the cart.

Mike
                            -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

-----------------------------------------

Comment

Thanks Mike

I have already done a case study with work arounds here http://community.actinic.com/showthread.php?t=35622

i made it work, but when linking with sage i had to redo all my product weights in there too, this being a right ball ache i am not using it anymore.

Theres plenty around the forum about this i only wished actinic would look at shipping to resolve this and other issues, i cant believe im the only one that would require this feature

Comment

Working...
                              X