Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

why is my variable duplicating in user definable settings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

why is my variable duplicating in user definable settings?

I've created a custom variable (done it before without problems). Added it as a user definable setting but when viewing it under settings it appears duplicated at least once in some case (without reason) 4 or 5 times. The screenshot explains it best.
    What's going on hear?
    Anyone else had a similar experience?
    How do I rectify the problem (already looked to see if I duplicated it in the libary of variables but I haven't)?
    regards
    bangers
    Attached Files
    Boxhedge New Media Design
    Design and development solutions for SME's.
    Tel: 0118 966 2786
    Examples of work can be found at http://www.boxhedge.com

Did not see the screen shot as nothing attached - but I have found when adding new selectors to layouts the system sometimes gets confused and adds additional code to the parent or neighbouring layouts also ... often causing an insane loop and killing Actinic. (took to 3am to find that one!)

May be worth checking nothing has also been added to neighbouring layouts in use around the one it has been added to correctly

** edit ***

ah - OK - now seen the screen shot and totally different problem to what I thought you were having
    Last edited by jont; 09-Mar-2007, 12:16 PM. Reason: screen shot

Bikster
    SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

Arrrgggh! Just found other variables (even ones I haven't creating) are duplicating all over the place when copying sections and pasting seems to be the problem.
      Tried compacting databse but it's still a problem

Help!!!!
      Cheers
      Bangers

Comment

I've had the same problem http://community.actinic.com/showthread.php?t=24804

I never really found a solution other than the one discussed in the thread above, but it seems to have stopped happening now I'm tinkering with v8.5.0

Comment

this happens all over the place , I've found that layouts cause big problems, and its ONLY the LAST entry in the duplication that affects the layouts - I've attached the pics - to show at least THREE examples

often the new custom variable doesn't show up in OLD existing products, thats easy, just change the category on the "General tab" to an alternative one (a duplicated identically named category has been created for some reason - bug??), then change it back to the first category - the custom var re-appears

I've never yet found a workaround, and I've never been brave enough to play around with the categories especially as they are all (5,6 may 7 of them) marked as "standard" - one day, I'll have time to experiment

currently on 8.0.4 - not gone to 8.0.5 because its an irreversable step if it doesn't work out, no doubt before long, I'll have to bite the bullet as they will start fixing old bugs in versions later than 8.0.5
          Attached Files

Comment

I guess this is another bug bear I have with Actinic at the moment.
            I've only designed 3 sites with actinic v8 and I love the new features but the bugs are driving me insane.
            I haven't completed a project so far without discovering a new chink in the armour and it's impacting very heavily on me financially.
            I try to keep costs competitive so charge only for the amount of time I believe a project is going to take (I don't feel i can charge a customer for time I think is going to be spent on the next bug + I'm optimistic I won't find one I haven't come across before). Once a day, two, three or even four are waisted on finding out fixes to new bugs my agreed costs for projects are being blown away.

As great as it is I really don't feel I should be finding out from the forum that:
            • I'm not the first to have the problem
            • The possible fix
            • The possible cause

Really when a problem has been around for as long as october last year (minimum) I expect when I phone up suppport that they should have the answer or at least a couple of suggestions other than to compact my database (the actinic equivalent of "have you tried turning it off and on again"). Instead it spends a day with support (who seem never to have come across the problem) then gets moved on to development.

I guess what I'm saying is bugs are sort of understandable (though I would prefer less), the forum is a God send but I think support could do better.
            Support team need to spend time after school to catch up, 2 hours community service every day (that's the actinic community) which should give them a few more answers and waist less time.

Regards
            Bangers

p.s I'll try the fixes ponted out by bentleybloke
            p.p.s completerookie, like you I'm worried about what's in store for me but I'm going in, v8.5 and no looking back, wish me luck as I know I have a new creepy crawly waiting to suprise me around every corner.

Comment

see my recent posting suggesting a new forum that would collect together and document "known issues, work arounds and fixes"

this type of forum can ONLY come within actinic (not within the actinic community)

Comment

I hear what your saying about the bugs. I've been working on upgrading my site since v8 first came out and still haven't finished it. Mind you, it's more of a hobby so there's no real pressure.

I have found, that since I started again (twice) and having problems with duplicate variable entries etc. that I'm much more careful with v8 than I ever was with v7. When I create a new duplicate, I ALWAYS create it from the original product and I make sure that the original product information is complete and the content category is set before creating the duplicate. I take snapshots and exports before making any changes to templates or large areas of the site. I restart actinic after importing or exporting. As a consequence, I seem to be getting fewer problems. So perhaps sage advise to all!

Comment

bloody annoying though ! (compared to v7)

Comment

completerookie - I agree this would be useful. It could easily be done within the community site, just have it as a read only section within the forum. With admin team adding known issues on it.

bentleybloke - You're v.sensible. It's easy to allow for bugs when you know wher they're coming, it's the first time suprises that really hurt. Even with backups (as I always do) I've got problems with this one as I didn't spot it for a while so most of the backups have the problem inherited. You live and learn.

Thanks for the posts.

regards
                    bangers

Comment

Working...
                    X