Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

8.5.0 Bug: Snapshot Import sometimes refers to deleted sites files

Bug:

If you create a site XXX and import a Snapshot all is well.

Now switch sites to any other site and delete the earlier XXX site.

Now create a new site YYY, and switch to that.

Now import same Snapshot as above.

Actinic reports fatal error referring to not finding Act_DesignExport.txt from site folder XXX.

Workaround:

Closing and restarting Actinic after before importing seems to fix things and allow the Import.
    Norman - www.drillpine.biz
    Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Similar issue here (possibly connected) http://community.actinic.com/showthread.php?t=27881 with regards to deleting sites and a new snapshot failing to export - restarting did not resolve alas

Bikster
    SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

Hi John

Thanks for the report on this. It's a known problem with snapshots, which should be fixed soon. It also happens if you rename your original site and then try and import the snapshot.

Comment

Chris
        Is it worth having a forum that shows "known issues and work arounds" ??
        by all means control it so that only actinic staff have access to the physical posting but then have it so that we could search for "work arounds in 8.0.4"
        make them all sticky?

for instance,
        show the problem, and either post a work around or point to the correct thread that talks about the issues and fixes etc,

close the thread by adding a "fixed in release 8.5.0"

by having a fixed forum, it would be very easy to "find out the latest issues" - you control it, we can only read it.

Comment

I'll put the suggestion to the management team and see what they say.

Comment

For my tiny brain there are too many workarounds and fixes to have the faintest chance of keeping track of them.

Having them in a central place would be extremely helpful. Although I have put a hold on all V8 work for a few weeks as I am drowning in fixes and fudges.

Comment

I know there are a lot, but at least it would be an easy place to start looking - if its not there (in the proposed "work-around forum"), then start searching the other forums - may improve things

I'm only suggesting a quick cut and past to highlight the problem, then a pointer to the solution/thread and "no interaction from community members" - keep that in the originating thread.

Comment

The whole forum being split out into child forums would be a great idea. With child forums for the main subjects of posting. Typical sub-forums of the V8 forum could be:

Network Setup
                Bugs & Fixes (they will never agree to this btw, it's bad press)
                Layout Problems
                Addons & Patches
                SEO
                Site Reviews

I've seen this structure work great on a number of forums, makes it easier to find what you want and also as a regular poster you can choose what to look at more efficiently, leaving you more time to offer assistance on your areas of strength.

Comment

bad press? - I do NOT see it as bad press, more pro-active - "we know there's a problem, wer'e working on it, there's a work around - now closed, fixed in release ???"

At the end of the day, if actinic do not talk about it (problems that is) openly, then we (the community) will only talk about it elsewhere - not sure where that "somewhere" is but ...

I tend to search for "all new posts since my last visit", skim down the list, ignore the ones that do'nt apply, can't help, peek at the interesting goat ones (priorities - got ot get that one right) and then follow v8 issues closer
                  I'm on v8.0.4 but always look at v8.5 because thats where I'm going next

I also tend to skip the lower releases, never worked on them, so not quite so easy to chip in.

Comment

Originally posted by completerookie
                    bad press? - I do NOT see it as bad press, more pro-active - "we know there's a problem, wer'e working on it, there's a work around - now closed, fixed in release ???"

At the end of the day, if actinic do not talk about it (problems that is) openly, then we (the community) will only talk about it elsewhere - not sure where that "somewhere" is but ...
                    I don't think advertising your problems to all new potential customers and illustrating to the competition where you are failing is anything actinic would do. It may well be a community on here, people with actinic are not the problem, it's the people outside that haven't yet encountered actinic my point is addressing.

V8 has so many areas of discussion, it is too big to be all dumped under one umbrella. It needs sectioning (just like they do with their software). We are already into 101 pages of posts, it's not even a year old yet. With many users failing to use the search facility, some great posts will pass them by. Defined sections within the forum and i think you have a far better system. No library or document which contained so much data would ever be published with no index or TOC, treat a forum as you do these things and it will be a greater success.

Comment

fair points

Comment

Originally posted by leehack
                        Bugs & Fixes (they will never agree to this btw, it's bad press)
                        Any reputable software company would do this. In fact, Actinic already do with the freely available version update notes and also the Knowledge Base is full of workarounds.

Microsoft has a very successful workaround Knowledge Base system and so do pretty much all other vendors.

I think it would be a very beneficial section to have.

Kevin
                        KDM Digital Media - Actinic web design and hosting

Comment

We could always have a little bet and the loser pays to Comic Relief if you fancy?

Comment

Nothing to bet on Lee - they already advertise bugs and fixes as I mentioned in my post.

Nice idea about Comic relief though (mind you, I'm not feeling very comical at the moment with a big deadline for a project tomorrow )
                            KDM Digital Media - Actinic web design and hosting

Comment

Working...
                            X