Importing data

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Importing data

I'm currently transferring data from one shopping site into an upgraded Actinic 8.5 one. I can use the flatfield data import just fine but is it possible to create custom fields so that I can also import:

Product component, attibutes, attribute data and choices ? I know I can do it with a hierarchical spreadsheet but it makes my head hurt to think about that!
    Richard Gosler
    Phoenix Digital Media Ltd
    Dorset, UK

Approach it the other way round, create some products in Actinic, then export them and follow the format, then re-import. Let Actinic set out how it does them and you just copy it.

Comment

You can use hierarchical import with flat file import, it makes it much easier. So create your products and sections using your current flat file, then build a hierarchical with just the extra product details in it, which is more or less like a flat file but with the various parts of information split over several lines. The import that file but choose to update rather than replace and the product details will be updated.

I find this simpler because you don't have to try to nest the sections within each other in the file.

Regards,
      Jan Strassen, Mole End Software - Plugins and Reports for Actinic V4 to V11, Sellerdeck V11 to V2018, Sellerdeck Cloud
      Visit our facebook page for the latest news and special offers from Mole End

Top Quality Integrated label paper for Actinic and Sellerdeck
      A4 Paper with one or two peel off labels, free reports available for our customers
      Product Mash for Sellerdeck
      Link to Google Shopping and other channels, increase sales traffic, prices from £29.95
      Multichannel order processing
      Process Actinic, Sellerdeck, Amazon, Ebay, Playtrade orders with a single program, low cost lite version now available from £19.95

Comment

Jan,
        That sounds ideal. But could I put all the data in a single row, and just use the hierarchical import ?
        Richard Gosler
        Dorset, UK

Comment

No, each object type has it's own row, it has to be like this because you have have any number of components, attributes and choices, so using a single row wouldn't work. So it's still a more complex file that a flat file but by leaving out the section information it is a more orderly file that the one that is generated by Actinic.

Regards,
          Jan Strassen, Mole End Software - Plugins and Reports for Actinic V4 to V11, Sellerdeck V11 to V2018, Sellerdeck Cloud

A4 Paper with one or two peel off labels, free reports available for our customers
          Link to Google Shopping and other channels, increase sales traffic, prices from £29.95
          Process Actinic, Sellerdeck, Amazon, Ebay, Playtrade orders with a single program, low cost lite version now available from £19.95

Comment

Sorry to be pedantic: I'm not an expert with excel. This is my basic spreadsheet http://www.pixelhaus.co.uk/black.csv

How would I add my component/attribute/choices to it in a logical manner ?

All help in this direction gtatefully appreciated!
            Richard Gosler
            Dorset, UK

Comment

not an expert with excel
              me neither, when I do this sort of thing I write a program in C++ to do it.

Regards,

Comment

Richard, you have no idea on setting up an import, you have little knowledge on excel, why on earth would you try and take the complicated route?

Just create 4 or 5 products in actinic and then export them and it will be clear in black and white what you need to do. You don't need to rely on any help off anyone and you will get a blueprint on how it needs to be setup for the future. The export from actinic will show you exactly how it needs to be and avoids ALL confusion, especially when you are first getting to grips with the hierarchical import.

I would consider myself an expert in excel, would i ever try and create a hierarchical import without first exporting one from actinic to see the format - never. Make it easy for yourself.

Comment

I think i'm being misunderstood. I know how to import and export data and do all the basic stuff with excel. I've just got basic spreadsheets from the client with the price permutations and I can't see an easy way to add them to a hierarchical file (unless I'm missing something) without a lot of cutting and pasting.

Of course, the simplest solution would be to let the client do it ;-)
                  Richard Gosler
                  Dorset, UK

Comment

Go into actinic and set up 5 or 6 products MANUALLY, as in typing in yourself within actinic, setting up the various different things that will be offered. Then export these products to see how actinic exports the details. How actinic exports the details is how you need to compile a spreadsheet for importing, COPYING how they have set things out.

Comment

Working...
                    X