Parent Section List question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Parent Section List question

How does the parent section list layout work?

It seems to repeat everything apart from the last line (well, the "This Section Name" layout line)

e.g. in the compact parent section list I've got 2 lines:
    First line = "Compact Parent Section Link"
    Second line = "Compact This Section Name"

Now if I replace the first line with just 'blah' then I'll get blah * number of parent sections and a single "Compact This Section Name"

What I don't understand is why it does this.. is it something internal to actinic that I can't see that causes this behaviour or am I being silly and missing something obvious?

Parent section lists each section (linkable).

So, if you had:

Top Level
    -> Next Level
    -> Another level
    -> Yet another level

The breadcrumb would look like if you were in Yet Another Level as follows

Link: Top Level | Link Another Level | Yet Another level

Automatic listing of the tree or link ability back up the catalog sections to the top level listing.

Comment

Sorry I think you've misunderstood me.. I know what it actually does, I just want to know how the layout repeats the "Parent Section Link" layout but not the "This Section Name" layout

I'm probably not explaining myself too well but I'm quite new to actinic so I'm not really that "up" on the terminology you guys use

Basically I want a reversed list for my title for SEO purposes, i.e.
      current section < last section < section before < site name

I'm quite sure I can do this with the actinic php engine but I really wanted to know how the breadcrumbs layouts actually show every previous section as I can't see any code or otherwise that would accomplish it

Comment

Okay.. The application does the decision making on the order, i.e. it adds how ever many levels based on the depth of the sections. Not sure if it is possible to change the order around to be honest as it is the application that decides on the order as opposed to a template, but am sure someone might or yourself be able to write PHP code and do it yourself instead of the Actinic inbuilt way.

But, summary - it is built into the application the order, as it is taken directly from the order of the sections and its sub-sections.

Comment

Is this being designed for users or SE's? The family tree type of layout is something that most people understand, reverse that and you will confuse people surely. Is this all driven by you wanting the current section name to be a link even when the user is already on that page?

Comment

It's merely for the title of the page, I've actually done it now anyway via a bit of actinic parsed php.. you can see the results on our oriental weaponry website (e.g. go to enter shop, martial arts weapons, samurai swords.. check the title of each)

Sorry for any confusion

Comment

Ahhh IC

So the actual page is shown first in the PT....

All makes sense now and looks dandy IMHO, well done.
              Affordable solutions for busy professionals.
              Website Maintenance | UK Web Hosting

Comment

Personally i'd say having your heading tags out of order will cancel out whatever you are trying to gain.

Comment

Originally posted by leehack
                  Personally i'd say having your heading tags out of order will cancel out whatever you are trying to gain.
                  I think that particular SEO debate belongs in a different thread but thanks for your input

Comment

Originally posted by mark0x
                    thanks for your input
                    My pleasure.

Comment

Working...
                    X