Upload Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upload Issue

My client who has been running an Actinic site for 6 months is disappointed at the lack of sales and asked me to investigate. In doing so I have discovered that there could be an indexing problem despite submitting the site to a number of engines, using a Google sitemap etc. One reason could be the presence of different versions of the same files following an upload, the newer ones being included in the navigation system but not the older ones. For instance there is Online_Catalogue_301_119.html and Online_Catalogue_301_35.html, the latter from an earlier upload and the former more recent.
    We have noticed that during the upload, some files appear to be reordered, which begs the question, how can there be a stable set to index and what happens to the old orphaned files?
    My client is uploading rather than refreshing so I would be grateful to learn what we are doing wrong.
    In analysing the log files, I discovered that the view cart perl file had been hit on average 14 times per month and yet this has not related to any sales, so my next question is whether this could have been a robot rather than a user and should this file and others be excluded in the robot.txt file?

For instance there is Online_Catalogue_301_119.html and Online_Catalogue_301_35.html, the latter from an earlier upload and the former more recent.
    Sounds very odd - a url would help.

Comment

http://www.preset.com/acatalog/Onlin...ue_301_35.html

That it?
      Football Heaven

For all kinds of football souvenirs and memorabilia.

Comment

That it?
        if it is then its looks like its due to the urls being renamed manually within Actinic. Each time the url is changed it will create a new page and leave the old one on the server.

Its looks a bit odd how you have set things up.

Comment

Is there an index page? And very poor page titles with hardly any pictures.

Looks very much like a work in progress I think.
          Football Heaven

Comment

Looks very much like a work in progress I think
            Thats what google thinks as well IMO - if you look at the indexed pages then they are all returning the exact same information.

Comment

Assuming thats the site of course.
              Football Heaven

Comment

We may never know now

Comment

Online_Catalogue_301_119.html
                  this could be the remnants of an older version of actinic where there was no facility to name pages yourself, you had to allow actinic to name them.

the convention was section_name_xxx.html (xxx was a 3 digit number that incremented every time a new page name was required.

My advise is to go into the section dialog box and give every page its own name of your choosing. This way actinic will not try to autogenerate page names.

Additionally go to the webserver and delete all HTML files, then do an update so you only get new correct pages

Make use of a 301 permanent redirect to direct from old page names to new page names, or just throw up a 404 error page to redirect visitors from an old (nor missing ) page to your acatalog/index

Comment

this could be theremnants of an older version of
                    Showing your age now jo

Comment

running an Actinic site for 6 months
                      If this is the case then how would Actinic be picking up the older method of file naming???

Comment

you may have been running around the playground in shorts when I was playing with version 3.07

still you need some older and wiser fogies around the place.

choice of smiley was intentional to show i still have my own teeth

Comment

Originally posted by RuralWeb
                          If this is the case then how would Actinic be picking up the older method of file naming???
                          its all i could think of, as we all know anything is possible with actinic - its only a suggestion which could lie with using autogenerating pagenames

Comment

i still have my own teeth
                            Your doing better than me then

Comment

as we all know anything is possible with actinic
                              You are not wrong there jo

Comment

Working...
                              X