X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie hosting questions

Hi.

A couple of questions...

1. Ideally I would like to place my store in a subdomain as there will be several areas to my site. ie store, forum, news. I belive it works like this?

www.mydomain.com with (with just a home page linking to) -
    www.store.mydomain.com
    www.forum.mydomain.com
    etc..

1. Will this affect traffic and SEO?
    2. Can i access my store with www.mysite.com/store using a sub?
    3. Are there any problems to consider during upload? ie location of SSL, Perl, CGI

2. I also have a .com for my store. Does this mean that google.co.uk will not see me? If that is the case can I have a .co.uk domain with a redirect page to overcome this problem?

3. If I use a hosting company and get more webspace than I need, can i park more than one domain on that space, or do I need a hosting package for every domain?

Many thanks in advance for your help

The arrangement of your webspace will depend largely on what your host offers.

I am hosted with 1and1 and using them as an example you can host multiple domains in the same package that are completely independant of each other. You can set up subdomains as folders in your webspace. Your store can be: store.domain.co... or www.domain.co.../store depending how you set it up - although .../store is not a subdomain of course just a folder from the domain root.

Ideally you should have a .co.uk domain that is hosted on a UK based server to fair best in Google - but this is not hard and fast. So it might be best for you to permanently redirect the .com to the .co.uk domain.

SEO - I'm sure the fundis here on the forum may be able to comment..

Comment

You can use the Actinic Home page to direct traffic to the other area's

Remember that the number of clicks a visitor needs to make to get to the area they are looking for is critical, That extra click and you can easily loose half your potential customers
      Chris Ashdown

Comment

Working...
      X