Export or Snapshot?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Export or Snapshot?

I work from both home and an office and when I take work home normally take a site snapshot. The work I do from home however is normally stuff like price changes and product changes. Site design is normally done from the office.

What are the pros and cons of taking home a site export or snapshot?
    Fitness for life!www.fitness-focus.co.uk

DIFN - Doing nothing is not an option

The Supplement Warehouse - Bodybuilding & Fitness Supplements

in this case you could realistically work with either.

The advantage of the snapshot is it is a full backup from which you could restore the site if disaster occurred, an export will only have product detail.

Comment

Go with a snapshot - it may take slightly longer but everything will be there and is another forum of insurance when the computer dies (you know it will)

Bikster
      SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

I presume a snapshot is best used when moving all the information/settings from one machine to another?

I am looking to to move the site from my machine to users machine - I guess that is the best way?

Will it transfer all the network settings etc too?

Comment

Yes. However it is also a good idea to export the network settings as well. On a a new machine I also copy the complete Site1 folder after importing the snapshot.

Comment

Excellent, thanks.

I'l copy the directory - Install prog on new machine - copy data over and then see what happens when I launch the app.

Comment

Wooah. Install prog - import snapshot - then copy over the Site1 directory.

Comment

Install prog - import snapshot - then copy over the Site1 directory.
                why copy site 1 aswell?

Surely all you need is install prog, import snapshot.

Only use site1 in times of difficulty as an extra backup

Comment

Working...
                X