Best Sellers List Links

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best Sellers List Links

I've got a client who wanted the acatalog folder to be set up as the root folder for the website. My hosting company have actioned this and it is all working fine - with one exception...

Because the acatalog folder is now the root folder, the home page is now the top level store page. I want to have a Best Sellers List on the home page and I have tried using different Best Sellers Layouts, but no matter which one I use, the links to the products don't work.

I tried adding a Best Sellers List to the top level Store page (acatalog/index.html) on a different site and everyhting worked fine. This leads me to think that the problem has been caused by making the acatalog folder the root folder.

When I click one of the Best Sellers links it takes me to another page with a message saying that the product reference could not be found.

I've temporarily removed the Best Sellers List from the test site but when I've put it back in I'll post a URL so you can see what's happening.

Just wondered if anyone had any thoughts on this in the meantime.
    Actinic Web Design | Actinic Templates

Best talk to shacks http://community.actinic.com/showthread.php?t=28866

Comment

Hmm, they may be related issues but I don't think this is the same problem.

Anyway, URL for test site: http://www.ascolights.matrix23media.co.uk/

Malcolm I know you think the database was corrupted on the V7 version of this site but I think it's ok. All the errors have been removed and everything seems to work ok.

The acatalog folder was never removed from this site - the hosting company just reconfigured things so that acatalog would be treated as the root folder.

I got my hosting company to do the same for the test site so we could accurately test it.

BTW there are currently no links back to the home page of this test site so if you need to go back to the home page you'll need to use the back button instead. Sorry.

Comment

and everything seems to work ok
        Then why is it not working

Comment

The site was fully tested (including the best sellers list) on the test server and everything worked fine. The only thing that is not working now is that the Best Sellers are pointing to a location that cannot be found (presumably because the acatalog folder has been set to be the root folder).

Malcolm I know you firmly believe that not using the acatalog folder is the cause of many a problem but the client insists on doing it this way. He has had a successful site for about six years now and the acatalog folder has always been used in the same way. Changing that now will have a seriously adverse effect on the search engine rankings he has built up for all his existing pages.

I have faith that someone out there will have encountered a similar issue and will be able to offer some assistance - after all other people in the forum claim to have successfully used the acatalog folder as the root folder - they're not all hardened skeptics like you

Comment

they're not all hardened skeptics like you
            Its because I have seen more problems than solutions caused by removing the acatalog.

Comment

weirdest thing.... I uploaded the site to the actual domain and the Best Sellers List works fine:

http://www.ascolights.co.uk/

confused but happy

Comment

Working...
              X