Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help Uploading new site please..

Hi

I have an existing V6 site which is live. I have been upgrading it to V8 and while doing so it has been hosted on a colleagues spare web space so I can see changes online (done by changing the network settings). This morning I completed the changes and copied the old settings into the new site network settings as this will replace the current live site.

When I try to refresh the site, I get the usual dialog box asking me if I am sure I want to and on clicking yes - zilch. I just get the egg timer continuously, no action. I have done a test in the network settings dialog and it has passed. Using the wizard brings up a warning that it is not possible to connect via ftp/http but the server appears to be working OK as the live site is uploading and downloading as usual and my internet connection is fine.

I have tried a straight refresh 12 times throughout the day but get the same thing.

Any ideas why I cannot upload the new site?

Thanks
    Derek

Compact your database and try again.

Comment

Hi Mal!!!

Compacted the database (which took about 2 seconds as there is nothing in the database yet) and tried again - same story - nothing?

Don't understand....

Comment

Two possible things to try:
        1. Put the test setings back and retry in test.
        2. (if you still have your v6 site backed up up properly and can restore it again if need be) Delete the old site manually and then retry the upload.

When you say the site was being tested on a friends webspace - was it used on another domain name? If so I wonder if it is a licensing problem - anyone know how the licence checks are made?...

Comment

The test setting should allow you to use it on a safe section of your own ISP
          you should be able to have both ver 6 and v8 on the same computer at the same time

if your v8 network settings are the same as v6 then you should be able to run v8 in test mode, but do not use in normal mode as it will overwrite your v6 site

When you are happy with the test site you can upgrade the site to v8
          Chris Ashdown

Comment

Hi everyone

Thanks for your replies, turned out to be a lot more complicated than expected but Malcolm Stubbs from RuralWeb fixed it for me.

Had to eventually manually delete the old V6 settings on the server and upload the new V8 site. All working OK now (Thanks to Mal).

Comment

For those who are interested the problems were due to:

1. Ftp timeouts
              2. V8 failing to start generating the html code when uploading - solved by forcing the html generation.
              3. Script differences on the server. Partly why the test site was on another server and not using the in built test.

Comment

Nice one Malcolm

Kind regards,
                Bruce King
                SellerDeck

Comment

Working...
                X