running Actinic off an external drive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

running Actinic off an external drive

I want to install Actinic on an external drive so I am not tied to one pc for work (9-5 machine), I get loads done at night and often work from different loctations.
    Is anybody else doing this, and is it workable?
    thanks in advance for feedback.

I would use snapshots.

Comment

So I would install Actinic on the various machines and open the latest snapshot to continue working. yeah?

PS: Sorry about the multiple posts just realized I posted the first one to version 6 instead of 8.

thanks

Comment

This is exactly how many of our clients work.

The program would be installed on each hard wired/desktop and the external drive and as Malc states, operate using the snapshot.

Make sure you keep a detailed log of snapshot, version changes etc...anal organisation is a must using this scenario
        Affordable solutions for busy professionals.
        Website Maintenance | UK Web Hosting

Comment

If you have actinic setup correctly and you are using it as you should, when you take a snapshot, you are taking everything from the site and putting it into a file. This file can then be used to setup an exact copy of the site wherever you want and however many times you want.

Make sure all installations of actinic are the same version numbers and be careful on which pc is now the master. As you move off one pc onto another to work, that one becomes the master. Once youve finished on there, the snapshot then needs to go back, to update the previous master.

Comment

when you export your snapshot give it a useful name so you can easily identify the latest copy, rather than rely on machine date stamp

Comment

Caution: Some Actinic data is held in the Registry and this would not transfer with the removable drive.

It does with Snapshots.
              Norman - www.drillpine.biz
              Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

Hi i have been doing something similar where i had actinic catalog on my home desktop pc and on my laptop and was updating using the most recent snapshot.

I have recently just upgraded to actinic business multi site (using the licence key only option). Although i can still import a snapshot form the upgraded version on my desktop into my laptop it does not seem to upgrade the version I use on my laptop form catalog to business multi site.

I was thinking about trying to copy the full actinic directory off my desktop to the one on my laptop but wanted to check if anyone here had mananged to find a workaround for this?

Regards

Jon
                Jon
                www.designtoplease.co.uk
                www.getmeoutofahole.com
                www.toys4james.co.uk
                Located in Herts

Comment

Just wanted to let you know i managed to resolve the problem that i posted above.
                  Jon
                  www.designtoplease.co.uk
                  www.getmeoutofahole.com
                  www.toys4james.co.uk
                  Located in Herts

Comment

The suspense - how?

(Useful for others searching later...)

Comment

Originally i had tried upgrading the version on my laptop by adding the upgrade licence key (by copying and pasting) and it had been saying the key was invalid. I then tried entering the key manually and it was fine - the problem must have been something to do with an additional space being added to the key when i had tried copying and pasting - i had not realised this at 1st.
                      Jon
                      www.designtoplease.co.uk
                      www.getmeoutofahole.com
                      www.toys4james.co.uk
                      Located in Herts

Comment

I'm desperately looking for a way to be able to work on our site on an evening at home away from the main Actinic PC at work.
                        I appreciate the standard way is to use snapshots but this means a 1.5 - 2hour full upload of our site in the mornings - i can't have Actinic tied up for this length of time.

Is there a suitable external hard drive or set up that i could use to enable me to work in this way or a way around it that i haven't thought of?
                        Thanks in advance.
                        Donna

Common sense is not that common.

Comment

work on a snapshot at home but do not update to www.

Bring it back to the office and update, thus the update wil lbe an update and not a refresh.

Not Tested but theoretically this should work

OR get up earlier

Comment

Thanks Jo may be brave and try this.
                            Getting up earlier would be fine with me except the kids would never get to school!
                            Donna

Common sense is not that common.

Comment

Originally posted by Donna
                              I'm desperately looking for a way to be able to work on our site on an evening at home away from the main Actinic PC at work.
                              I appreciate the standard way is to use snapshots but this means a 1.5 - 2hour full upload of our site in the mornings - i can't have Actinic tied up for this length of time.

Is there a suitable external hard drive or set up that i could use to enable me to work in this way or a way around it that i haven't thought of?
                              Thanks in advance.
                              Another option - we run our shops on laptops, which when in the office are connected to USB wireless full size keyboard/mouse and a full size screen (in extended desktop mode, so the laptop screen and the full size screen show different parts of a whole desktop, so you can run Actinic permanently in one screen and, say, Outlook in the other) - this takes about 30 seconds to set up each day, and provides more functionality than a normal PC. In the evening the laptop can be taken elsewhere to run the shop and/or deal with emails, or left in a safe. Current laptops are easily powerful enough and much better value than they used to be.

Aquazuro - designer stainless steel accessories

Comment

Working...
                              X