Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem with Variables and Searching

Hi,

Our site sells ink cartridges and to do this we create a page for each printer and list the associated cartridges. Originally we used to duplicate the cartridges for each printer that used them, and change the product descriptions of the cartridges to include the printer model name. The problem with this was that it makes maintanence very difficult. Now we just use duplicates without changing the description. But it has occurred to me that this prevents the search facility from working if a customer manually enters their printer model number. On our main search page, customers can use drop down boxes to find their printer by make and model. But the quick search does not use this.

On some pages we use a variable set at section level to store the printer model number and this is inserted into a template layout at the top. It is also inserted beneath the product descriptions to confirm compatibility. If I make this variable searchable, it does not help because I just end up with a huge list box with all the model numbers.

An example of a typical page is listed below:

http://www.inkandmedialtd.co.uk/acat...Cartrides.html

The text "Epson D78" is inserted from a variable. But searching for Epson D78 does not give any results. Does anybody have any suggestions?

Thanks,

James

You can create a new search variable type - text input - detailed in the post below.

http://community.actinic.com/showpos...36&postcount=7

You could copy the code generated on the search page to your quick search template and have a separate field to search by model number.

Comment

Thanks for the help John. The only problem with this approach is that the text entered has to match the variable exactly. So if the person types Stylus D78 instead of D78, the page will not show. I forgot to mention that the manufacturer is stored in a separate variable.

Does anybody know of another way that does not require the text to match exactly? Thanks

Comment

James,

Is that variable set to searchable?

Kind regards,
        Bruce King
        SellerDeck

Comment

Hi Bruce,

The variable is set to searchable but the only way the relevant products show up is if I go to Search Settings -> Searchable Properties and add a drop down box on the search form. This is not suitable because it shows all the models of printer regardless of manufacturer. I have already added custom Javascript drop down boxes on the main search page for choosing the brand and model of printer. But what I would like to do is make the products show up if the text is entered into the quick search text box on the side of the page.

I might be able to add the custom printer selection box that's on the search page to every other page in order to get round this problem. But I have found that for some reason in Firefox I get a prompt to login to the site when I select a section to go to. At this prompt, if I click on the link to bypass the login, it doesn't go to the right page. In Internet Explorer I don't get either of these problems. I'm using the built in Javascript arrays to get the section names.

Comment

Sorry, I was off track there, variables though set to searchable will not display in the 'Quick Search' results, it will only display if the value being searched for is in the product description or the product name.

Kind regards,
            Bruce King
            SellerDeck

Comment

In that case you could add another vote for

http://community.actinic.com/showthread.php?t=29051

Comment

Working...
              X