Import products.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Import products.

I have created an export file of products that were entered on another PC. However, when I import the products (using update), I get lots of the below errors:

"Line xxxxx: A product with this reference already exist in another section"

I guess this is because it's trying to overwrite another exiting product, but my question is, how can I import the file while updating the product reference to a new, or sequential reference?

Thanks
    Cappa

[EDIT]

I guess I need to remove the 'Product Reference' field -- but again, I'm not sure how to do this when importing.

Let Actinic do the product references itself, don't try to control them unless you have a specific reason to. If you are updating products, then the reference is good, if adding new ones, then just remove the field.

Comment

I would export your current catalog first and view the data and then go ahead and ensure no replication BY EDITING CURRENT DATA

Many of our clients use the PR as it can be a valuable aid in inventory management.

One tac we employ is to use alpha numerical PR's and attribute each key according to your needs, they can be supplier based, item placed etc...but above all else, it will remove duplication.

HTH
      Affordable solutions for busy professionals.
      Website Maintenance | UK Web Hosting

Comment

Thanks for your replys.

Lee: I didn't change any of the product references, but I think the problem lies with the fact that I started a 'blank' site and entered products, but these products (or product reference) already exist in my current catelogue. How do I then remove the PR at the point if import? Is this possible?

HTH: I see what you mean about the PR issue, but this site mostly uses drop down selections for sizes, and I've had to add the PR for each size on the dropdown.

I really just need to update my products, but the PR duplication seems to be the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by LooseDrumSticks
          HTH: I see what you mean about the PR issue, but this site mostly uses drop down selections for sizes, and I've had to add the PR for each size on the dropdown.
          LMAO Cappa. "HTH" means "Happy to Help", it's not his chuffing name.

Comment

Originally posted by LooseDrumSticks
            Lee: I didn't change any of the product references, but I think the problem lies with the fact that I started a 'blank' site and entered products, but these products (or product reference) already exist in my current catelogue. How do I then remove the PR at the point if import? Is this possible?
            If you are not using them for anything specific and do not care what they are, then leave the PR field blank on the import, let Actinic add them for you, it won't mess up then.

Comment

Originally posted by leehack
              LMAO Cappa. "HTH" means "Happy to Help", it's not his chuffing name.
              errrr ... DOH!!!

Comment

Firstly -- What a nightmare proceedure! I'll have to cross reference everything, and by the looks of it, there are two different descriptions for each field.

Secondly -- Why can't I increase the size of the panel? Maybe something for the wish list.

And Thirdly -- What exactly does 'Auto Map' do? As far as I can see -- nothing. There is no reference to it in the help file!

Another loooooooooooong and labourious afternoon in store.

Comment

If you are building a large site then I would pay a lot of attention to the ref number as you may want to relate it to your suppliers number in the future

When you start it easy to have them on automatic or just name them car1, car 2etc, but when the site gets bigger you may find that it would have been easier to go something like Ford escourt, Ford escourt lx, Ford Escourt xr3 and so on as :

1) Its easier to remember

2) The supplier may send you a price list and its easier to update the site using the same ref numbers

3)It may held SEO if the name is mentioned and the same for photo's

4) Its time consuming to have to change them all at a latter date and may effect your SEO rateings
                  Chris Ashdown

Comment

Originally posted by leehack
                    LMAO
                    Lee ???????
                    Chris Ashdown

Comment

Originally posted by chris ashdown
                      Lee ???????
                      Laughing My Ass Off.

Comment

roflcopters