Parent Section Name

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Parent Section Name

I'm working on a site, which like a lot, has a section for each product. I have a couple of issues relating to displaying the SectionName:

1. Some of the products will use the "Related Products" feature which is working well, but I really want to display main section that the related product belongs to. i.e. Cars (section) > Vauxhall Astra (sub-section) > Vauxhall Astra (product). I would want to display the section "Cars".

2. Also on each product page, in a similar way as above, I want to be able to just display the parent section. Is this available as a variable?

If anyone can help or has some tips, it would be much appreciated.
    Web . Design . Multimedia . Branding

You need to use <actinic:variable name="ParentSectionListTop" /> which is available as a layout, this will give you two layouts
    <actinic:variable value="Compact Parent Section Link" name="ParentSectionLinkItem" if="%3cactinic%3avariable%20name%3d%22IsParentSectionLinkShown%22%20%2f%3e" />
    <actinic:variable value="Compact This Section Name" name="ParentSectionLinkItem" if="%3cactinic%3avariable%20name%3d%22IsThisSectionNameShown%22%20%2f%3e" />
    Which would look like this..
    Online Catalogue | Clothing | Shoes
    You could make a copy of the 'Compact Parent section List' layout and amend to only show as you want it to.

I would also suggest downloading the Advanced Users Guide (on my signature) as it will proove handy.

Kind regards,
    Bruce King
    SellerDeck

Comment

Parent Section Name

Thanks Bruce. That kinda helped and with a bit of fiddling I eventually got there.

Comment

I've got another problem relating to displaying a parent section item. I now need to display the parent section name in the search results as using the current section name display 'SearchResultSectionName', which just shows one level up and as I'm using a section for each product this doesn't really work.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Comment

Hi Richard

I'm afraid that the data that appears in teh search results is a lot less flexible than the data in the product pages as it is all generated by the perl online, There is no way to show the parent section against the product in the search results.

Sorry about that.

Comment

Oh well, a shame. Thanks for the reply though.

Comment

Still on the same subject; Is it possible to get the parent section name into the Best Sellers and New Product Listing sections?

Comment

Sorry Richard - this information isn't available to the best seller items. The only thing yo could do is create a new 'user-definable variable' for your products, which stores the parent section name as a string, and then use this in the layouts - but I'm guessing this is impractical with lots and lots of products (although you could import these values).

Comment

Sounds a bit fiddly but I'll take a look.

Cheers Chris.

Comment

Working...
                  X