• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Actinic And W3C

mine comes up with many errors when validating the HTML

beginning with: No DOCTYPE

what doc type should actinic be in?
    www.polymax.co.uk/acatalog/ number 1 for for o-rings, rubber seals, rubber cords. In Viton NBR and silicone.
    Cuddle And Carry, Baby Slings Wraps Ringslings Pouches and Carriers
    http://www.oringen.eu/ O-Ringen Rubber Koord Uitegdreven Profielen in Nitrile (NBR) Viton.

I use

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd">

different people have different requirements. If you change the doc type sometimes it may affect how the site looks in different browsers, so check afterwards. Also, there should be a link on the WC3 site with different doc types and their suitability.

As far as validation is concerned, you can get very close to being complete a-ok, but actinic always gives errors as it uses its own variables on the page. I think that actinnic should place comments around the variables so that the scripts still see whats needed but other things like the validation don't.

That said, its alwasy best to run validation on html and css just so you get as much as possible and it often gives errors you wouldnt see otherwise.

Let us know how you get on.

Thanks,
    Paul.

Comment

Out of the box, many themes use:

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"
      "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">

When you register with DW it will add one too.

Do not get tied up with W3C compliance and Actinic.

Many have tried and gone to an early grave. There are many core functions within Actinic that are not yet compliant and NEVER WILL BE. until Actinic Dev attack it from the back end.

So it is a negative project at this time for anyone to undertake unless you can afford to work on this and then sell it to actinic when you solve it
      Affordable solutions for busy professionals.
      Website Maintenance | UK Web Hosting

Comment

Originally posted by los_design
        <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"
        "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">
        Going "loose" is often the safest route to take

Bikster
        SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

Unless you are using a js menu that requires strict for correct placement....

boy, discovering that wasted many days

The above is implied to state that Act will add the 'loose by default' when using the internal themes or registering from DW

HTH

Comment

Although I advocate W3C compliance, you are fighting a loosing battle. As mentioned above, validation can still be a useful exercise in removing errors; however 100% validation cannot be achieved with Actinic. Instead, your time will be better spent testing your site in as many browsers etc as possible to ensure it functions/displays correctly.

HTH

Chris
            Ladies Swimwear
            www.li-fi.co.uk

Comment

IMO W3C is a complete waste of time and you will never get Actinic to validate

Comment

Originally posted by RuralWeb
                IMO W3C is a complete waste of time and you will never get Actinic to validate
                Strong words Malcolm, why do you think that?

Surely standardised browser compatibility is vital & will aid designers and users alike. This is the main aim of this body (w3c)?

I know that css is still a MASSIVE bone of contention cross browser but still...in the interest of sites away from Actinic (for now) surely compliance is what we should all be striving for?

JMHO
                Regards
                Daren
                (retreats and goes into the trenches)

Comment

Code validation is important. 100% compliance with Actinic is "impossiable". I think its on the community to continue to push Actinic to make all aspects of their code compliant. However version 8 is a huge improvement and I think were down to 5 errors on sites and those errors are specialized elements used to operate the ecommerce. I have benn pushing Actinic for wc3 compliance for a very long time..... Maybe someday it will be 100%.

Brian
                  Brian Johnson
                  :::Sure Solutions Inc:::Professional Actinic templates from Buythisdesign.com:::
                  1-732-528-7635 x203

Comment

Working...
                  X