Installation on new Lap Top

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installation on new Lap Top

I am having problems installing V8 Business Multi User onto a new lap top (my existing catalog is currently on my old PC and I want to transfer everything to the lap top so that I can work even longer hours).

On clicking the shortcut after installing from the CD I get the following message:
    "There is already a directory 'C\Program Files\Actinic v8\Sites\Site1' and therefore a new site cannot be created. Would you like the existing directory to be renamed so that the new site creation can continue"
    Note again that this is on a new lap top that has never had Actinic installed before. Also note that the \Sites folder is totally empty and does not contain a \Site1 folder.
    I then get two prompts to either delete or rename the \Sites1 folder (which doesn't exist) but what ever choice I take I cannot access the program - Any suggestions please?

How have you started to transfer to another PC?

If you can replicate the process maybe we can spot an error.

Start with how you backed up the site, etc...

Regards
    Affordable solutions for busy professionals.
    Website Maintenance | UK Web Hosting

Comment

Have you tried unistalling Actinic from the Laptop, deleting C:\Program Files\Actinic 8, rebooting and retrying the installation?
      Norman - www.drillpine.biz
      Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

We haven't started to transfer any of our existing store details. This problem arises straight after installing the software on the new lap top

Comment

Norman

We have done this several times but we keep getting the same message.

After each uninstall we have been careful to delete all reference to actinic from the program files etc - we have then rebooted prior to the install and then again after it.

Comment

Also note that the \Sites folder is totally empty and does not contain a \Site1 folder.
            i had this happen to me when installing 8.5. I can't fully remember the solution but part of it was to re-populate the sites.ini file.

go to sites folder do you have a sites.ini file there?

the contents should be

Code:
            [Sites]
            Site1=
            I may have had to edit the registry too. I also remember have to uninstall/reinstall several times before it eventually came right.

If you have cover I'd phone support.

Comment

After unistalling Actinic and deleting C:\Program Files\Actinic 8, run Regedit and delete branches

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Actinic\Catalog8

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Actinic\Catalog8

Now there's no sign of Actinic on your system.
              Norman - www.drillpine.biz
              Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

Thanks Norman

We have tried this but we still keep getting the same message after reinstalling. Could this be a problem with Vista - we have not had the problem on any of our XP machines.

Comment

are you installing 8.5?

as i think this is the only Vista compatible version

Comment

Trying to install v8.

I will try the install from disc again and then upgrade to v8.5 prior to starting the program - if this works i will post a happy response

thanks

Comment

Download 8.5 off actinic's website, don't use your disc.

Comment

Do as Lee suggests, you could then license with your key on the disk.

Kind regards,
                        Bruce King
                        SellerDeck

Comment

Working...
                        X