Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moving to a new machine

Hi

My computer is about to retire (lucky computer!) and I need to move across to a brand new machine. I am running Actinic Business Client, 8.0.3, with Widows XP on both machines. Payments are handled by Protx or PayPal.

I have done a search, although not totally sure I have searched on the right terms.

1. Suspend Orders
    2. Wait a bit (half an hour?)
    3. Download any remaining orders
    4. Export a complete site snapshot. Probably export databases as well for good measure?
    5. Install Actinic on new machine (my CD is 8.0.2 from memory)
    6. Upgrade to newer version of Actinic (should I stick with 8.0.3 or should I go with a newer version?)
    7. Import site snapshot

Is it as simple as that? Or are there things I have missed/not understood?

Any advice gratefully received.

Hendrik
    www.grand-illusions.com

Start at point 4 its a new PC not a new hosting provider,

Add point 8, refresh site. You have to do this to sync the Pc with actinic on the webserver.

Then download orders. Once you have exported the snapshot from the old PC do not attempt to download orders until all is well on the new PC.

Comment

Hendrik,

I would also take a complete copy of the 'Site1' folder just in case AND copy the security information from Actinic in case you need it (I'm doing an upload and can't remember where it is at the mo but you will no doubt find it). You should also suspend ordering while you do this (although I never do and I have never had a problem) Also, it would make more sense to download v8.03 from Actinic and install that instead of upgrading from a freshly installed v8.02. And personally, if your site is live, I would forget about upgrading till I have everything working on the new computer. Then make sure you do a full refresh once you are happy.
      Cheers

David
      Located in Edinburgh UK

http://twitter.com/mcfinster

Comment

Jo is right, you shouldn't need to do the first bit. But if you do start from point 4 definately make sure you have a copy of the security information, better safe than sorry!
        Cheers

David
        Located in Edinburgh UK

http://twitter.com/mcfinster

Comment

Plus wait for full release of V8.5.1. no point in doing it twice

Comment

Plus wait for full release of V8.5.1. no point in doing it twice
            Not sure this is good advise.

Go with Dave's suggestion and download 8.03 from actinic download area rather than instal 8.02 and patch.

Comment

Originally posted by pinbrook
              Not sure this is good advise.

Go with Dave's suggestion and download 8.03 from actinic download area rather than instal 8.02 and patch.
              Sorry Jo, why?

Comment

Because his current requirement is simply to swap over Pcs.

The upgrade to 8.5 changes the database, therefore should not be thrown in as an afterthought. IMO

Comment

It's also always better to be sure and install the full version of the product than have the possibility of problems with a patch.

Comment

So would it not be better to install the full V8.5.1 (when available) and load this with a snapshot of the original site, V8.5.1 will update the database? leaving the original site untouched on the original pc just in case?
                    Seems safest and shortest route to the latest version to me.

Comment

It all depends on whether it is important to be on the latest version. In my view all that is required here is a simple PC swap.

8.5 is full of bugs, 8.5.1 is still beta - this is reason alone not to throw in an unnecessary upgrade.

Comment

Working...
                      X