Best position to place notice to customers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best position to place notice to customers

We sell garments of all sorts, now and then we have a problem that customers order say 3 or 5 of an item all in the same size, which we get in from our suppliers and then the customer returns them as either not suitable or wrong size etc

We would like to place a notice that basically states

"Returns are expensive to both the supplier and the customer, if you are unsure of the garment sizes or suitability, we suggest only single items are purchased for each colour / size combination."

The question is where do you think this should be displayed to be effective?, bearing in mind I do not want to scare the customers away
    Chris Ashdown

Can you not just trigger this in the checkout when someone orders a certain multiply of a size?
    That way it's completely relevant and should assist rather than scare off.

Comment

Sound good but outside my scope of basic HTML, any suggestion on how to do it?
      Chris Ashdown

Comment

Whilst its not a direct answer to your question Chris, I would say that the problem is probably harder to solve than placing a notice in the right place.

Some customers make intelligent decisions and are also considerate.
        Such a customer would think:
        "I'm not sure of the size, I'll order 1 and check, or I'll phone ahead for advice before ordering"
        A notice might help this customer, although they would probably think like this anyway.

An inconsiderate / unintelligent customer would think:
        "I can always return it if I don't like it / it dosen't fit. I KNOW MY RIGHTS!"
        Unfortunately, that sort of customer either won't read the notice, wherever you put it, or won't be 'bovvered' about it.

Comment

I must admit when I am buying clothes (especially jeans) from a shop I've not used before or if I'm buying a new brand, I order 2 different sizes with the intention of sending one back.

I think the trigger in the checkout is the best solution, but you also need to consider some people may be returning because the garments simply aren't what they were expecting - its the whole internet shopping experince - you can't touch and feel before you buy.

Its also the reason I've never put surf clothes on surfwax, too much admin re returns.

Comment

Originally posted by fleetwood
            An inconsiderate / unintelligent customer would think:
            Martin do you get these as well,

Differnt subject how did you get on with your serch for a dedicated server?

Jo

Thats the bugbear we have to live with about 5-10% returns most for size change so high on office time but not to bad cashflow, but anything to make people think may be worth while. But in some cases they order 5 of the same size and colour and then return them for the next size which makes sencible stock levels crazy especially if they are Tent size and you will never move the returns for 10 years
            Chris Ashdown

Comment

Can you not specify a restocking charge if incorrect sizes are ordered? It's really annoying getting lumbered with somebody's incorrect order because of the incorrect size ordered, especially if unreturnable, you should not shoulder that.

Can you provide a sizing chart and also advice on how your sizes match up to the standard sizes. For example a woman will often say she is 10-12, when in fact she is actually 14, just because the NEXT sweatshop made a garment loose oneday and it fits her, she's convinced that she's not a 14 because of this one solitary garment. Men probably guilty of the same to some level, believing that 34 waist will fit when in fact, it's 36 everyday.

Is there trend in people getting sizes incorrect, do your garments often fall smaller or larger for example. This would be a good point to highlight if any trend.

Comment

Can you not specify a restocking charge if incorrect sizes are ordered?
                i simply would not order from a site that said this.

However i think you could have a restocking fee for sizes at either end of the scale that have to be specially ordered/made. Take a look at distance seling regs re custom items.

Comment

Originally posted by pinbrook
                  i simply would not order from a site that said this.
                  Think that's the answer then Chris. Should reduce multiple ordering considerably.

Originally posted by pinbrook
                  However i think you could have a restocking fee for sizes at either end of the scale that have to be specially ordered/made. Take a look at distance seling regs re custom items.
                  Totally agree here if suppliers will not take things back or they are custom made specifically, there can be no argument as long as it is clearly stated.

Comment

Originally posted by leehack
                    Totally agree here if suppliers will not take things back or they are custom made specifically, there can be no argument as long as it is clearly stated.
                    Customised & personalised items are exempt from the DSR but regular items are not ... if someone orders 50 x garments in size 40 and these are a stock line (ie not made to order) you have to refund (they are liable for postage costs). Its a pig but its the rules of the game.

As you buy from a supplier on a B2B basis you are not able to force them to allow a return either ... this is down to your own negotiating skills and the terms you have in place.

The contract is between the website and the customer and not the customer and supplier.

Bikster
                    SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

Customised & personalised items are exempt from the DSR
                      if you have to get them made specially coz they are huge/tiny can't you say they are customised?

Comment

Not if it is offered as part of the range eg in a drop down select from sizes 4 to 40

You could use a different product for the extremes and make these "made to order" to overcome the DSR even if they are off-the-shelf products. Not too consumer friendly but it would give you an out if you really wanted to stand your ground ... then again if they shout loud enough and threaten your pet goat with imprisonment most retailers will back down so it could be futile.

Bikster
                        SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

Surely if in the product details you said that sizes 6-14 are standard and that 16 upwards are custom made to order you could get round that? Even have it in the drop down list next to the size.

Comment

Thanks all for your considered opinions

Our case is not that our suppliers won't take back the stock, they will, but we want to try and avoid returns of multiple items if at all possible

The size issue again is not important, but say on some lines like tabards we offer 18 colours, Red, Royal, Black will always sell well but Pink or Brown are very slow movers but are required to make our site different in that we do so many colours, and the same for other items though not so many colours. so size or colour penalties would not be part of our marketing plans.

I do like the idea of a note poping up on the confirmation page if multiple orders of the same item are made just asking "You have made a multiple order of an item of the same colour and size, Would you like a single item sent for aproval first or would you like all items sent at once"

Any further idea's on how to do it
                            Chris Ashdown

Comment

how did you get on with your serch for a dedicated server?
                              Chris
                              I settled on 1&1 Business Pro (shared) for now, as my plans are waaaaaay behind - still developing the A8 rebuild - just no free time at the moment.
                              With good experience so far, I would certainly try 1&1 for the dedicated server, when the time comes.

Comment

Working...
                              X