Correct Processes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Correct Processes

I'm about to take on another upgrade... mercy me..

This is a v7 site where I need to retain orders, product data and stock control.

My previous upgrade proved to be a total challenge as I worked on a design, created a design snapshot, then took the original v6 site upgraded the database to v8, and then found my design snapshot would not import onto the up to date data.

So before I embark on a new project just how do you upgrade a site from v7 and keep product data, order info and stock control in tact?

Except for start the conversion at 3pm on Friday, tell the client not to download any orders over the weekend, return the site on Monday morning, let the client install the upgrade and download orders. And lose a weekend, allow no time for testing and hope and pray it all goes ok - whilst risking the clients livelihood ?

I would get a snapshot, upgrade the site and then create and apply my own external layout. Load this up in test mode so they confirm the layout and are happy etc. If during this you have to adjust styles or layouts, simple copy what you end up with i.e. take a copy of the actinic.css and make copies of the new layouts you create. And note down any changes to site settings you have made.

Once client is happy with the test layout, get an updated snapshot at the end of the day, upgrade it and then re-apply everything you did in the first place, although this time, you are copy pasting, not creating, so should in theory do it very quickly. Bsically you create your own design snapshot that actually works. That could be done in an hour easily. Upload the store yourself and ftp or mail them a snapshot for in the morning.

Comment

Don't you just love doing things twice?

i thought IT was supposed to streamline tasks not double it.

Comment

I must admit i was astonished when you highlighted the design snapshot problem the other day. As sites have often been on V7 for quite some time, it is often a reasonable idea to close down V7 and use that as an archive for orders, so V8 starts with an empty clean start. If not acceptable i see no other way than above, even more so if stock control is in place.

Why on earth they offer a design snapshot is beyond me, it seems to do everything that a design snapshot shouldn't. Snapshot is the dogs cojones, design snapshot is like an ashtray on a motorbike.

Comment

Don't get me started on the design snaphot feature overlaying an existing live site... it is enough to turn you insane. You may as well print out the actual design you want the same size as the monitor... cut out the middle so the products show through and then super-glue it to the screen .. its the only way you will get to see what you have designed on the live site

Don't forget to break the absolute link to the outer_layout.html and keep it relative ....ie

simply "outer_layout.html" and not

"c:\program files\atinic v8\sites\client site\outer_layout.html"

... even then you can be on a hiding to nothing when transferring.

Good luck, stock up on the coffee and take the phone off the hook. Eating and toilet visits are for wimps. Best of British to you

Bikster
          SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

I would really like to see the design snapshot work in the way that developers would find it useful.

Ie you work on a design (for weeks and weeks - may be with client data to give it authenticity) then when ready to release ask for the client for the latest snapshot, upgrade the snapshot to v8 and apply the design snapshot.

Thats really how I've always envisioned it to work...

Comment

Originally posted by pinbrook
              That's the Ronseal method... this is Actinic v8 ... you are expected to work miracles.

Bikster

Comment

Originally posted by jont
                Don't get me started on the design snaphot feature overlaying an existing live site... it is enough to turn you insane. You may as well print out the actual design you want the same size as the monitor... cut out the middle so the products show through and then super-glue it to the screen .. its the only way you will get to see what you have designed on the live site
                LMFAO Jonty

Comment

I think they did too, but the YTS kid was crap.

Comment

I stand corrected Jont, in my other life I am an optimist, I now turn into a jibbering wreck at the thought of a v8 upgrade.

I think i may retrain as a Plumber

Comment

I think the last hour has been the funniest for a long long time on this forum.

Comment

Jo just send them the partial design snapshot and say 'yep'.

Comment

I now turn into a jibbering wreck at the thought of a v8 upgrade.
                          I thought you were giving up the design stuff to concentrate on the hosting side of things?

Bikster

Comment

I think i may retrain as a Plumber
                            If you had seen me earlier with my finger stuck in a radiator valve stopping it peeing black soot all over the cream carpet, i think you'd reconsider. I needed 3 hands, i only had 2, the carpet got it.

I actually sat there for 10 mins laughing with my finger acting as a dam, i couldn't get to my phone it was about 8 inches out of reach.

Next time i want to paint behind a radiator, i won't bother.

Comment

Very true, but the hosting is too stable at the mo so I've got nothing to do

and I keep getting phone calls from clients whose sites i created in the early days. The one I'm mulling over I converted from 3 to 5, and then did the 5 to 7 upgrade too.

Comment

Working...
                              X