Hiding section on website

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hiding section on website

I have hidden a section on a website and note that although the section no longer shows in the sections list if someone knows the url they can still access the section. This doesn't seem a good idea to me as pages that are still listed in search engines but have been hidden can still be ordered from.

What is the way around this apart from deleting the section or disabling ordering?
    Fitness for life!www.fitness-focus.co.uk

DIFN - Doing nothing is not an option

The Supplement Warehouse - Bodybuilding & Fitness Supplements

Hi Owen,

I'm very surprised if this is the case. I have some sections hidden on a website and am unable to access them in the manner you describe.

Could it be your cache do you think?

hth

David
    -----------------------------
    www.synchronisedwebdesign.com

Comment

Originally posted by Owen Drumm
      This doesn't seem a good idea to me as pages that are still listed in search engines but have been hidden can still be ordered from.

What is the way around this apart from deleting the section or disabling ordering?
      This has always been the case, mainly causes problems when something goes out of stock, yet can still be ordered through a cached page. Best solution IMO is to take the products out of stock and leave them at that for a month to get spidered and then remove the section, that way even the cached page has no ordering capability.

You can also tell Google through webmaster tools to remove the url from its index, which it will do in 3-4 days usually.

Comment

It's not a cache problem as I have just accessed from a pc that hasn't got the site in it's cache.

Comment

It could be a server side cache.

I've tested it on my server and if I hide a section then upload, the html file is physically removed from the server.
          Regards,

Toby Blanchard

Comment

Which version are you using?

In early versions of v8 (upto about v8.0.3 I think) hidden pages were left on the server.

Comment

I am on 8.0.5 although I have a feeling the the last site refresh was done with 8.0.3.

Comment

I installed 8.0.2 and refreshed the default site. I hid a section and updated. The section link and page was removed from the site.
                Regards,

Toby Blanchard

Comment

Working...
                X