No announcement yet.

Why did I bother - 8.5.1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Excellent. I have an upgrade to do this w/end so i'm going to be brave and do it in 8.51 using this method.

Only got surf-wax to sort.

Just need to get my Office/Access disk liberated from where I left in in South Africa! to resolve the pesky snapshot error on pathnames

Still need to work out why its treating my 2 layouts as one though

Comment

Best of British to you

Bikster
      SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

ok i've installed Access - see attached image Column sMarkupSource had the D:\ pathname nID 1214 and 1215, so I just blanked out the paths. Snapshot now works... step one.

There still is a problem withthe nTypeID 57 records. nID 1214 &1215 are brochure pages, so could be deleted.

1816 is a layout I'd like to delete but if I try to delete in design , Latouts, right click, the delete option is greyed out. So it thinks its being used somewhere.

1818 is the actual css
        1821 is the only external layout i want.

I did try the sledgehammer approach and simply delete records1214,1215,1816 but when I opened Actinic and went to site options, i got the Actinic internal error and crash.

So i need to know what to do with these records? as they are clearly wrong, see attached image where they all appear as choices within the extenal CSS dropdown (site Options Properties) css.gif

I've also attached a screen grab of the DesignObjects table.

I still have the problem when i create another layout, from _SW call it _SW(noMenu) as I want a layout for the checkout without the left hand nav, I can create it ok, but when ever I make a change to _SW(noMenu) the change is also applied to _SW. Not really what i want.

I will phone suppport on Monday with all of this , if no kind soul has any suggestions in the meanwhile.
        Attached Files

Comment

One thing to try is to edit the 'StyleSheetLayout' layout selector, which controls the content of that drop down list. You'll find this within the 'Web Page Outer Layout' group in the library.

Ensure that only 'Actinic Stylesheet' is selected in 'Initial Value' and 'Top Level Value' and then in the 'Values' tab you can remove all unwanted layouts from the right-hand list.

It's also worth having a quick trawl through all the layout selectors in the 'Web Page Outer Layout' group to ensure that the layouts are not referred there.

Comment

One thing to try is to edit the 'StyleSheetLayout' layout selector, which controls the content of that drop down list. You'll find this within the 'Web Page Outer Layout' group in the library.

Ensure that only 'Actinic Stylesheet' is selected in 'Initial Value' and 'Top Level Value' and then in the 'Values' tab you can remove all unwanted layouts from the right-hand list.
            good oh - thats fixed that

It's also worth having a quick trawl through all the layout selectors in the 'Web Page Outer Layout' group to ensure that the layouts are not referred there.
            yes they were, all 5 rogue layouts were there under all layouts, I've removed them all and now I can delete SW_DONOTUSE

I've compact DB. But I still get the problem creating a new layout.

1 Design Libray
            2 right click _SW, new layout, call it _SW(noMenu)
            3 create it
            4 Double click to edit it
            5 remove the div for left hand nav, save
            6 Open _SW and see that the same edit has been applied to it too.

I want 2 layouts, one with menu, one without. At present all i can have to 2 layouts, both with menu or both without.

Comment

Hi Jo

This will happen if both layouts are looking at the same external layout file. Check the 'Edit Layout Details' dialogue of both layouts. You'll need to delete the 'Filename' value of one of them in order to have them both look different.

Comment

Indeed Chris that was the answer..... thanks

I need to do my homework on external layouts. That upgrade has now been put to bed, thats 2 out of the current 3 done and dusted.

Comment

surf-wax.co.uk is now 8.5.1!

with also boughts and related products to improve keyword density on one product per page. And more coding on Page Titles to use custom title if its there else use product name and use predefined for terms, checkout etc pages.

Google had dropped most product pages recently, but having just checked they are nearly all back now - I can't beleive 8.5.1 for 8 hours would do this, the only other change last week was the page titles which i also applied to the 804 that I uploaded last week. Today i also removed the disallow from the cgi bin, as each time i searched for products I found the search page and site map indexed only - that to me indicated that bots weren't following links on sitemap and because i supressed CGI they weren't spidering the site properly..

One big change is the indexing of the index page, this is now a brochure page with 9 bestsellers and 9 new products and text to lead you to the non shopping side of SW. Nearly all products featured in BS and NP are now indexed (googleUK) within the top 20.

Thats now 2 out of 3 live

Comment

Nice one Jo .. you should add it to the showcase thread.

Nice to see the red sitemap is still there ... Pinbrook (TM)

Bikster
                    SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

You know me, I like to see red

Comment

Originally posted by leehack
                        If its any consolation guys, i was off to bed at 2.30 this morning, just waited for the Microsoft updates to install, system went titsup, i haven't been to bed yet and i have about an hours software loading to go yet. Totally locked me out, ive ended up having to format the git and start afresh.
                        Remember the most usefull tools for this:
                        backtrack2 linux distro and bartPE portable XP.

reading this thread, i can safely say, that the daftness of actinic means that once again we have a 'cost to upgrade' vs 'actual benefits' problem ourselves.

i wonder what the actual cost in time and resources to upgrade actually is for all those involved.

Comment

'kinell Gabe, where ya been, the forum's been almost sane without you. Everything ok dude?

Comment

literally every second of my time was devoted to ebay.

...as well as making sure Actiniet is good for release.

missed me?

Comment

Back to subject---

Snapshot error

Errors
                              (File ExportFiles.cpp, Line 456) - The file D:\V8Sites\Surf-Wax\No Layout was not found System error 2 - The system cannot find the file specified.
                              crucial or meaningless?

Comment

Meaningless I reckon. It seems to think that the 'No Layout' option (which you get in the 'Filename of External File' field when you delete the filename of an external file) is actually a filename.

You could check all your externally-registered outer layouts in the 'Web Page Outer Layout' group in the library and try deleting all the 'Filename of External File' values again (the ones you don't want anyway).

Comment

Working...
                                X