v8.5.1 upload problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

v8.5.1 upload problem

trying to fix an error and when i switch off all products bar a few to speed up the upload process to check my fixes actinic insists on uploading all my products anyway so takes forever.

Also since upgrading to 8.5.1 new products have been corrupted and qty box removed so adding to cart is broken...
    seo company: web development - online marketing - actinic ecommerce

What do you mean by switch off all products? Do you mean hide their sections?

Comment

yes - hide their sections just to speed thigns up or have I missed a trick here?

so frustrating on a friday night after a long week when you make a single change to one product and actinic then proceeds to upload 200 products all over again. why do sites always tend to break on a friday afternoon

Comment

make a single change to one product
        If you changed a product layout in any way then it will upload the lot again.

Comment

hide their sections just to speed thigns up
          Not sure how that would help in the least. I've always understood that when you hide a section, you are telling Actinic, ' I dont want this section to appear in my online site '.

Thids means Actinic has to delete the existing online page(s) that are now hidden AND load a new sitemap AND a new copy of every page where the navigation has been affected by the change(s).

I believe the quickest way to make one small change is to leave everything else well alone, and just make the one small change. That way, only the page(s) directly involved in the change will be updated.
          Bill
          www.egyptianwonders.co.uk
          Text directoryWorldwide Actinic(TM) shops
          BC Ness Solutions Support services, custom software
          Registered Microsoft™ Partner (ISV)
          VoIP UK: 0131 208 0605
          Located: Alexandria, EGYPT

Comment

even if I make one small change to one page, not the template, say selecting a different layout for that one product then the whole site uploads instead of the one changed product. I never used to have this problem with V7.

a problem page is http://dillongreen.whitehatmedia.com...uard_Hobo.html

the product cannot be added to cart. I noticed that the qty box was missing so reinstated that but it is still broken. I have now changed the template for that product and uploaded and it hasnt updated. Did a site refresh and no change. It previews correctly locally though.

Very difficult to debug if the dev site is not updating so I can work out what is going wrong...

Comment

I have been following this thread and although I'm no expert have I gone from V8 to V8.5 with no problem (I have severe problems with my checkout button) but thats a different thread......no new answers to my thread on that aye!

What I suggest, is:

Snapshot your old site and back the entire lot (site 1 folder etc)
              delete V7 or simply delete Actinic full stop and re-install V8.5 from scratch, not forgetting manually deleting the Actinic folders from c/Programs/Actinic
              Re-load V8.5 and import your snap shot to it

I'm not teaching egg sucking here, but V8.5 seems to upload pretty much everything again, although this depends upon what you click in WEB,ie, refresh, upload site or send files, they all mean different things here, also if you have additional files then make V8.5 not upload them time and time again by deleting the additional files as you only need to upload these once ( a deffo if they are .PDF files as these take years to upload)

With lack of true support here if not paying a packet for it, you do need to learn the hard way - jsut search all my posts and you'll see what I mean

Kev

Comment

We havent really had that many problems with V8 to date and this site has been running ok until now. The biggest headache I find with offline systems like actinic is the debugging.

If I have to wait 15 minutes to upload the whole site each time when I make a small change to one product (I understand what Malcolm & wjcampbe were saying earlier about changes) then fixing a bug goes from 10 minutes to 1/2 a day which the client won't like being charged for.

If I have a php/ASP/.NET site that is broken it takes minutes to debug and fix usually, not hours, especially frustrating when the problem has been created by the software and not bad coding...

Comment

I do understand your point here, and obviously you seem a pro company here, Im not bad at it but V8 is for my own company so a different kettle of fish altogether, however, my uploads for any single change no matter what is monstrous to the point of ********* anoying as it lashes up anything else I can do - and NO I don't have a cack pc either before anyone asks!

I Know how you feel on this Kev, trust me, I been trying to sort my probs out sinse last Sat at 5.30am!!!!!

Help? ......not a chance................

Comment

I think ive sorted mine out by deleting all the non problem sections and purging then setting another template theme, uploading just that problem section then setting the theme back.

The to rebuild the shop I have set up a new site in actinic, imported this mornings snapshot then copied the sections through to my stripped down but fixed shop - seems to be working, will know soon enough.

Sometimes with actinic you have to go back to basics and think a bit laterally to find an answer.

whats your specific problem Kev or are there many?

Comment

Originally posted by kevster
                      I think ive sorted mine out by deleting all the non problem sections and purging then setting another template theme, uploading just that problem section then setting the theme back.

The to rebuild the shop I have set up a new site in actinic, imported this mornings snapshot then copied the sections through to my stripped down but fixed shop - seems to be working, will know soon enough.

Sometimes with actinic you have to go back to basics and think a bit laterally to find an answer.

whats your specific problem Kev or are there many?
                      Glad you're sorted out...

mine is on another thread and i cant explain it here incase others moan at me for double posting!!! (you know who you are ....lol)

Mine is the checkout button not working, or should I say throwing up an error all the time

Im no thicko here but im on the verge of paying or should I say betting someone that they cant get my site going...............

headache pills/beer etc dont do Jack and Im on the verge of blowing my top with this stuff now..................

Comment

found your post - added to it, mine still ongoing, thought I was there but....

Comment

Working...
                        X