Screen width not used properly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Screen width not used properly

Good grief. With the old story about the guy who changed his car because the ashtrays were full clearly in mind, I got so fed up with the one and only PC we have here that I decided to go buy a new machine just for Actinic to run on.

Being seriously bored of all the horizontal scrolling I was doing in places like permutations, I chose a wide screen model with 20-something percent more width than the old machine.

Imagine my delight discovering that the permutations display isno wider on the new machine than on the old one - it's just that there's now a great big white space beside it. So I still have to scroll madly left to right and I can't see the permutation name and the product name at the same time. The permutations tab is taking up just under half the avalable screen width and is not resizable.

Why? Oh, Why?
    -
    Justin Hill (Half-to-three-quarters-baked Mac expert, laptop evangelist and vintage Hammond enthusiast)
    http://www.cka-net.com

How do you think I feel with a 24 inch monitor at 1920x1200...

It seems to be absolutly rediculous in this day and age that they and the other boxes/windows etc are not dragable to the users requirements.....

It can be done with a little thought... (In VB if I remember, it is a matter of a tick box "resizable yes/no")(I do know that it is not written in VB but I believe VC++ has similar atributes)

I appreciate that this is a simplistic point of view but it really is a pain in the rear to have miniscule data entry boxes ....

C'mon Actinic - we are out of the 640 px age... lets have some width dragable boxes ....Please
    www.yandles.co.uk
    www.websilk.co.uk
    Today is the tomorrow that I worried about yesterday.
    So far, all is well. Am I still worried? YES! Watch some b.....d mess it up!

Comment

Cheers guys. Thanks for taking the time to air your frustrations. I've passed on the details to the development team.

Comment

Originally posted by cdicken
        I've passed on the details to the development team.
        Thanks Chris. It is much appreciated.

With scaleable boxes etc would sure make life MUCH easier.
        www.yandles.co.uk
        www.websilk.co.uk
        Today is the tomorrow that I worried about yesterday.
        So far, all is well. Am I still worried? YES! Watch some b.....d mess it up!

Comment

Best thing I did when changing to V8 was to get another screen, preview on one, the rest on the other, it doesn't change the silly Actinic permutation box but it makes life a whole lot easier when in design.
          Beware the non changing preview when you change from site to site in MU, you have to close the new site and re-open to refresh the view, otherwise it scares the life out of you to see the preview of the site you just left!! don't know if this has been fixed in V8.5.1 as I don't dare update to it after Jo's experiences.

Comment

Originally posted by buspassjohn
            don't know if this has been fixed in V8.5.1 as I don't dare update to it after Jo's experiences.
            John don't be put off by just one particular situation.

My system upgraded Jo's almost perfectly ** and i have upgraded 3 sites today without a single glitch. It's easy to think that it's all bad on the upgrade front because of one horror story, it really isn't anywhere near that bad. It's a very simple process usually.

** only things that changed were layouts and i had chosen to upgrade these so expected that to happen as hers were custom layouts.

From V7 to V8 is a nightmare without a doubt at times, from V8 to a later version is good though.

Comment

Originally posted by leehack
              only things that changed were layouts and i had chosen to upgrade these so expected that to happen as hers were custom layouts.
              Yep - the easiest sites to upgrade are those that are plain vanilla v7 themes untouched by owner intervention

Bikster
              SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

Working...
              X