Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The definitive guide to upgrading.

Hi all,

I'm going to make the scary step of upgrading to 8.5.1, but I wondered what the general consensus was about upgrading.

Now, I know not to install a patch -- I've made that mistake before.

I have backed-up my 'sites' folder, along with my 'snapshots' folder.

Should I un-install completely, and install Actinic 8.5.1, or should I overwrite?

After reading 'Why did I bother - 8.5.1', by Jo, I'm being extra cautious.

Also what about those 'upgrade design' questions you get when you start-up. My designs are totally Dreamweaver. I guess I just say 'no' to those(?)

Any help / advice would be appreciated.

Cappa..

I wonder how many difference of opinion you will get on this one???

Anyway, all your steps so far look fine. Remember to suspend your website if it is live and in terms of the Upgrade questions, I would make sure you select the option to add them into the library but not overwrite yours. Then if you need to you can have a look at them and see if there are any important changes.

You can just overwrite if you want (that's what I always do) but there is no harm in uninstalling and installing a fresh copy.
    Cheers

David
    Located in Edinburgh UK

http://twitter.com/mcfinster

Comment

we went down the patch route and it started breaking lots pages on a client site when it came to 'add to cart'.

Also the navigation was breaking and duplicate products were jumping to their original products when drilling down through sub sections - explain that one?

Sounds like its best to do a clean install to me after backing up all your sites - good luck!
      seo company: web development - online marketing - actinic ecommerce

Comment

Hi Dave...

The steps so far are fine.

I'm sure I read though that you can install V8 in parallel to V7 (if this is not true please correct me folks), so it may be a good idea to do this i.e. - continue to run your live V7 site and then use the new installation to do the upgrade (as per the upgrade guide) and work in test mode...and when you are happy, switch the v8 site to live and uninstall version 7. My upgrade coincided with a new PC purchase so I was able to run the two versions on separate machine.
        HTH

Chris
        Ladies Swimwear
        www.li-fi.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by dave_finlayson
          I wonder how many difference of opinion you will get on this one???

Anyway, all your steps so far look fine. Remember to suspend your website if it is live and in terms of the Upgrade questions, I would make sure you select the option to add them into the library but not overwrite yours. Then if you need to you can have a look at them and see if there are any important changes.

You can just overwrite if you want (that's what I always do) but there is no harm in uninstalling and installing a fresh copy.
          Cheers for that David ...

I've proceeded by completely un-installing Actinic, and installing the new version.

However, I'm at the point of restoring my snapshots, and have the attached box which I have been staring at for 15 minutes now, not knowing what to do.

My sites are Dreamweaver designs, so what to I choose?
          Attached Files

Comment

Take the middle option. This will just add any changed layouts into the database but will leave yours alone.
            Cheers

David
            Located in Edinburgh UK

http://twitter.com/mcfinster

Comment

I'm sure I read though that you can install V8 in parallel to V7 (if this is not true please correct me folks)
              You can indeed - we support some v7 sites and also work in V8 on the same machine with separate installs...
              seo company: web development - online marketing - actinic ecommerce

Comment

Originally posted by dave_finlayson
                Take the middle option. This will just add any changed layouts into the database but will leave yours alone.
                Cheers guys ... here goes, fingers crossed!

Comment

Working...
                X