Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Version Control

Hi

I was wondering what methods everyone uses for version control of their actinic site? What works best, what doesn't sort of thing.... Anyone care to comment?

Thanks

for version control
    What do you mean by this???

Comment

By this I mean, how do you keep a tab of which version is currently live and which version you're working on in test? If you've taken a whole heap of snapshots, how do you know which one is live? Do you embed a comment in the production version with the snapshot name or do you give it a proper version number like v1.4.1 and then link that version number back to something?

Hope that makes sense.

Comment

I use dates for each snapshot - if you have another PC then you could run the test site on that to save messing about

Comment

Originally posted by RuralWeb
          I use dates for each snapshot
          Assuming you do more than 1 snapshot per day, how do you know which one you uploaded live? How do you remember that in a weeks time?

Comment

Have a read of this Michael.

Comment

cool stuff!!! It's a good thing your mentioning off-site back-ups. Think I'd better do something about that then.....

Comment

I keep a hidden fragment on each site and add info into it before each snapshot to record what changes have been done since the previous one.

There was a wishlist item some time ago to have an optional prompt to add version info prior to creating a snapshot (or backup); which of course have to be able to be read before importing a sanpshot.

Comment

Working...
                X