Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Image not showing? This might be the reason!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Image not showing? This might be the reason!

Just received a CD with huge, very high quality images 35 - 50 Mb TIF files...

I put then through Photoshop and reduced image size down to 250 & 450 pixels and saved as JPGs as per normal in the appropriate folder within Site1...

However, after inserting them into the product, they did not render...
    Got me confused for a while, then the other brain cell kicked in and I checked the colour mode in Photoshop.

After converting a TIFF to a JPG, the colour mode remains set at CMYK. This mode will not render in Actinic.

Cure: Set the colour mode to RGB, save and all is fixed!
    www.yandles.co.uk
    www.websilk.co.uk
    Today is the tomorrow that I worried about yesterday.
    So far, all is well. Am I still worried? YES! Watch some b.....d mess it up!

Donald,

Thank you for posting this up here. I am sure it will come in handy.

Kind regards,
    Bruce King
    SellerDeck

Comment

Originally posted by Donald Gray
      This mode will not render in Actinic.
      It is not Actinic specific but due to the browser ... which Actinic uses to display the previews. Monitors work in RGB only where as printers work in CMYK ... when outputting to a printer (even a desktop) is if often worth changing bitmaps from RGB to CMYK as there is a slight difference in the finished printed page ... the amount depends on the quality of the printer / ink.

Most suppliers will send hi-res images in CMYK as this is print shop ready.

Bikster
      SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

Originally posted by jont
        It is not Actinic specific but due to the browser ... which Actinic uses to display the previews. Monitors work in RGB only where as printers work in CMYK ... when outputting to a printer (even a desktop) is if often worth changing bitmaps from RGB to CMYK as there is a slight difference in the finished printed page ... the amount depends on the quality of the printer / ink.

Most suppliers will send hi-res images in CMYK as this is print shop ready.
        All noted Jonty - however it is not a 'Monitor' problem as monitors WILL render CMYK mode as well as RGB images - As you say it is an 'interpreter' problem; the browser being the interpreter.
        www.yandles.co.uk
        www.websilk.co.uk

Comment

Monitors emit light which is in RGB format .. if you have a CMYK image in say Photoshop your graphics card will convert to display in RGB (again the quality of conversion depends on the card, driver software and the monitor)... as far as I am aware browsers only accept RGB to ensure maximum compatibility and cut down on the amount of conversion / rendering they need to do to display an image correctly.

From my days behind a camera I recall it is down to additive v subtractive methods of light transmission.

... that being said should still be in my sick bed so if the above is utter bull please let me know

Bikster

Comment

should still be in my sick bed
            V8 finally got to you then

Comment

Originally posted by RuralWeb
              V8 finally got to you then
              That's what my solicitors letter is claiming

Bikster

Comment

... that being said should still be in my sick bed so if the above is utter bull please let me know
                Take half a glass of Scotch in a small amount of coffee 3 times a day ... Won't do the illness any good - but its fun finding out!

I was trying to keep the info in my original post appertaining to image rendering in Actinic and not fog the issue... I too could go on re transmissive v reflective etc but thought it irrelevant to the subject of giving a 'heads up' to others who may have got caught out unwittingly with a jpg not showing.

BTW, I too have had many years behind a camera and have been heavily involve in the printing and photography industry, indeed doing 4 colour separation on 20" x 16" glass plates way back in the 60s - oops my age is showing...
                www.yandles.co.uk
                www.websilk.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Donald Gray
                  oops my age is showing
                  I hear Mr Talbot was an inspiration to work with

Bikster

Comment

Donald - the Grand Canyon panorama is fantastic.. you did well to get a human element for scale in there ... very impressive.

Bikster

Comment

Thanks Jont - Did you find the 'King of Fools'? (Gallery 2)
                      www.yandles.co.uk
                      www.websilk.co.uk

Comment

I knew we had met before LOL

Bikster

Comment

I knew we had met before LOL
                          I wonder if they would let me use him as my Avatar?
                          www.yandles.co.uk
                          www.websilk.co.uk

Comment

50 x 50 pixels would not do him justice

Bikster

Comment

50 x 50 pixels would not do him justice
                              I could always crop out the unwanted bits...
                              www.yandles.co.uk
                              www.websilk.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                              X