• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sites Folder

Hi all

I've upgraded to 8.5.1 from 8.5

but my sites folder has stayed in program files

how do I change it to my documents ready for vista?
    Colin

Originally posted by SoftSkier
    Hi all

I've upgraded to 8.5.1 from 8.5

but my sites folder has stayed in program files

how do I change it to my documents ready for vista?
    Have a look in 'My Documents|Actinic V8' it should already be there...

Dunno about Vista though...
    www.yandles.co.uk
    www.websilk.co.uk
    Today is the tomorrow that I worried about yesterday.
    So far, all is well. Am I still worried? YES! Watch some b.....d mess it up!

Comment

i have found if you upgrade from earlier versions to 8.5.1 it does not attempt to move from the program files (remote client experience). This must be included in all Upgrades from now on otherwise we've got an accident waiting to happen as Vista becomes more and more popular. Clients will be upgrading PCs to Vista and phoning us poor developers when it goes pear shaped (they will phone Actinc support too) at least we could attempt to sort it out before it happens this time.

You may have to install 8.5.1 fresh to get it to ask to put data alsewhere

Actually I shall document this as something to be picked up on by Development.

I sent a snapshot (8.5.1) to a client using 8.04. They upgraded full version of 8.5.1 on top of 8.0.4. Imported a snapshot which created a fatal error - and subsequently deleted ActinicCatalog.mdb. Hence 8.5.1 would not open (unable to find selected database) so it was a futile exercise to send another snapshot.

We then had to copy any old ActinicCatalog.mdb into Site1 to get it to open to import another snapshot.

Thats where the fun came in, I assumed because the client had upgraded to 8.5.1 then site1 would be in My Docs - only it wasn't it was still in Program files. Ever played remote hunt the thimble?

Comment

Originally posted by pinbrook
        i have found if you upgrade from earlier versions to 8.5.1 it does not attempt to move from the program files

You may have to install 8.5.1 fresh to get it to ask to put data alsewhere
        Indeed, I spent a very happy afternoon after first install of 8.5.1 searching for site 1....

then we found it in my docs!
        Affordable solutions for busy professionals.
        Website Maintenance | UK Web Hosting

Comment

You could copy Sites to My Documents / Actinic v8 and fix it with a registry tweak.

Run Regedit and go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE / SOFTWARE / Actinic / Catalog8 / Sites

Note down the contents of the string value SitesFolder (in case we want to change it back).

Change value SitesFolder to (e.g.)

C:\Documents and Settings\Norman\My Documents\Actinic v8\Sites

And that's that.

Leave the old Sites folder in place until you're sure everything is working.
          Norman - www.drillpine.biz
          Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

What I've done

Hi All

Thanks for all the help

Had a search through reg and found lots of ref to the programs files/ ac../site

so I copied the current sites folder

Uninstalled every thing

re-installed full 8.5.1 and it asked me where I wanted it.

after re-install over layed my copied sites folder onto new one

all looks hunky dory now. sites folder not in programs files

Ta
            Colin

Comment

Cliet ok to

I've done the same at a clients site

they now have a sites folder in

my documents

simple copy sites
              uninstall
              reinstall and get option of where to put sites
              Colin

Comment

I tested my post (#5) and that single value change is all you need to do (as well as copying the folder, of course).
                Norman - www.drillpine.biz
                Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

Working...
                X