Shipping costs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shipping costs

I am totally confused - I thought that I had mastered the shipping problems but now Actinic is allowing stuff to be ordered without shipping added...

I am desperate – please do not tell me to RTFM – I have but still cannot get my head around the complexities of shipping…

My confusion is because of my lack or inability to comprehend the method of CORRECTLY setting up shipping bands and charges etc... (The instructions in the 'Get Starting Guide' that do not compute with v8.5.1)

Situation:
    At present, we only sell to the UK. (I have removed all the other zones and customers can only select the UK) Later we will want to open up to most of the world.
    Using Zone & Class method

1) We ship heavy machines - no problems here -they get excluded from the Shipping band and have a handling charge...

2) We ship exotic wood which has weight factor - This we charge shipping by the Kg (.5Kg - to in excess of 40Kg) I set up a table that gave price bands according to weight – I had named the one and only category ‘ShippingCategory1’ and this was applied to all the exotic woods ‘Product’. This did work UNTIL it set up charging model for 3) below

3) Hand tools, carving and wood turning chisels - these have a basic fixed charge for 1 (£1.87) and a small incremental for each extra item (£0.26 ea). I assign the category ‘Chisels&SimilarTools’ (see below)

I am confused as to the use of ‘category’ within the context of shipping.

I set up a category 'Chisels&SimilarTools' as per the requirements of 3) above – this works fine…

Because ShipCategry1 appeared and wanted a Fixed & Per Item Charge too, I set them to £0.00 not wanting this to be added to the weight charges set up in 2 above.

I now realise that I have over-ridden the Weight charging…

Question 1: Is it possible to set up several separate pricing models based on 2 & 3 above?
    Question 2: If so – how? What have I missed?

In other words:
    How do I CORRECTLY tell Actinic to charge per kilo according to the table defined in 2) when a customer buys exotic wood…
    And
    ….how do I tell it to charge per item as in 3) when he wants to buy some tools as in 3)?
    www.yandles.co.uk
    www.websilk.co.uk
    Today is the tomorrow that I worried about yesterday.
    So far, all is well. Am I still worried? YES! Watch some b.....d mess it up!

From the on line help

Category-based shipping is based on the number of items ordered
    That indicates that you cannot mix weight/value/number of items.

You might get closer using weight based shipping (and maybe using the alternate weight field). Set the handtools at a light weight value where one weight division say 0.01kg is priced at £1.87 and each increment of the same weight division adds £0.26, then set the wood weight priced appropriately beginning from say 5000kg upward.
    Bill
    www.egyptianwonders.co.uk
    Text directoryWorldwide Actinic(TM) shops
    BC Ness Solutions Support services, custom software
    Registered Microsoft™ Partner (ISV)
    VoIP UK: 0131 208 0605
    Located: Alexandria, EGYPT

Comment

100% agree with Bill, if you have complicated shipping requirements, convert to full shipping by weight and apply some lateral thinking - this solves almost every possible scenario.

Comment

My poor cat!

Thank you Bill and you Lee...

I can feel a cat kicking session coming on!

I have come to the conclusion that in the current version it can't be done - surely I'm not the first to need 2 or more separate look up tables for different shipping costs based on quantity and weight....

Eg:
        Product group/category A = go to lookup table A and apply shipping based on weight
        Product group/catagory B = go to lookup table B and apply shipping based on quantity

Ahhh well…

Puss, puss, puss.....
        Attached Files
        www.yandles.co.uk
        www.websilk.co.uk

Comment

I can feel a cat kicking session coming on!
          The cat has taken to wearling full body armour now!

After several more hours reading up and giving your suggestion much further thought Bill, I am going to restructure the whole thing based on that idea...

The exotic woods weigh anything from 1 kilo to 3 kilo for the same cubic area. My weight bands start at 1 kg and ends at 400 kg...If needs be I could multiply the weight by a factor of say 10 and use it as an offset to give even more of a gap....

I can add the 0.01 kilo segments quite easily...
          I will set up new model on the laptop and test it & if ok will transfer to main machine and upload it, along with a big mental thanks....

Now, if only I could get out of this square!
          www.yandles.co.uk
          www.websilk.co.uk

Comment

Working...
          X