Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Designer 8.5.1 + Crossover Mac 6.1

Hi All,

Anyone any experience of trying to get Actinic to work on Crossover Mac 6.1?

I've got a client successfully running Business Client 8.5.1 under Parallels (xp pro) on a modestly specced Intel Imac. Just make sure you assign enough memory. Works better than a pc with Vista IMO.
    Richard Gosler
    Phoenix Digital Media Ltd
    Dorset, UK

Comment

*thumbs up*

i have it installed on a test machine, in qemu.

http://www.kju-app.org/kju/

the favourite for me, is 'Q'. named (i hope) after the mischivous john de-lancie character from star trek, the one that clicks his fingers and makes picard wear a dress.

with kqemu accelleration, qemu outperforms vmware and crossover for me and v8, and not only that, but the hard drive file it makes is deliciously portable to any platform that runs qemu, and thats, well...all of them.

i can run the exact same OS from the exact same machine running vista and XP.

Comment

I'm guessing Qemm is faster than Parallels too then... I tried installing Actinic 8.5.1 in Crossover and it constantly fails during install.

I'll try Qemm (tried in on me old G5 a while ago and it was a bit poop) but sounds like it might be a go-er now.

Cheers

Comment

its only faster under certain platforms, and with the kqemu accellerator installed properly.

under software only emulation, its speed is actually quite slow.

Comment

Out of interest, what Mac are you running this on? MacBook, MacBook Pro, Mac Pro, iMac?

Comment

i use 2 but dont laugh:

emulated in pearPC
              -and-
              native intel on osx86, using a HP laptop.

not even a real mac at all.

Comment

PearPC!! Last time I tried PearPC it was sooooo sllllooooowwww. I take it it's a bit better now. I remember installing OSX 10.4 in PearPC on a P4 3.2 HT with 4gb RAM and it took about 1.5 hours.

I never got those Intel builds of OSX to run on my hardware properly (AMD SSE2) and screen resolutions were all to cock (nVidia) so just ended up buying a MacG5 and a MacBook instead. Having said that I did try running one of the 'Generic' Intel builds on a bog-standard Dell PC (mega cheap) with core-duo 2 processors and it ran ok!

I'll give Qemm a go with the accelerator extension thingy - sounds good.

Thanks.

Comment

Out of interest, where did you find the "kqemu accelleration" bit?

Comment

i'v just had a peek, and apparently, its not open source.

so i'v had it working under windows as a service, and under linux too, but i recell not being able to get it to work under osx.

apologies.

Comment

Working...
                    X